M17X R4 GTX980M Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by mikecacho, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecacho

mikecacho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also another thing to note is it appears that the Power table within the vBios is unmoddable so i am unable to add additional power to the card, i had Godfafa test this with his 330w PSU. This could be something that is locked on the driver side, because i cant even force it in the vBios.

2. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Wait what? It pulls over 240W with vSync off? Mike, have you tried lowering your CPU OC which was 4.3GHz to 4.0GHz and seeing if the same thing happens?

3. mikecacho

Reputations:
    Updated progress:
    Mikecacho vBios Mod 3dmark11.PNG Mikecacho vBios Mod.PNG

reborn2003 and Ashtrix like this.
  4. mikecacho

Reputations:
    It turned out being a issue with the vBios, i fixed it for the most part, with a OC on the CPU and a light OC on the GPU i will get up to 225w so i cant push the GPU any more. But there are so many issues right now it is taking me a long time to work out these bumps. Getting there tho, view my latest pics in the post above.:thumbsup:
    Mikecacho vBios mod1.PNG
    From what i understand when it comes to "Utilization limit" (view pic) it refers to under utilizing current clock set.

5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    what's the best way to measure power consumption by the GPU? i am wondering if the high voltage i have set is causing higher clocks to crash because it's drawing too much power that the 240W PSU can provide.

6. mikecacho

Reputations:
    I will assume you are using the 780m, since that is what your sig shows? Purchase a kill a watt ez from home depot it will show your consumption. Here are some pointers also. Monitor your values in MSI afterburner. Watch the "Power limit" "Voltage limit" "OV Max limit" (run Heaven benchmark) if you notice any of those hit max please report back and ill provide advice based on what you report. The crash can be due to lack of power, meaning your power level is not set high enough and your GPU is not able to draw what it needs causing the driver to stop responding.

reborn2003 likes this.
  7. mikecacho

Reputations:
    Update: OP updated with new pics on current vBios mod, progress is coming along nicely.

8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    so far it's OK at the current clocks but anything higher and it crashes. will have to get a wattage monitor and see what it's pulling.

EDIT: anyone trust ebay sellers for buying the PSU or should i just go straight to dell for this?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    mikecacho likes this.
  9. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey mikecacho,

where can i get your modded Vbios for 980m? which tool are you using to tweak it?

someone has asked about 970m in R4 - i must say it works perfectly and overclocks nicely without issue, up to 1100 3dmark 11 score and +800 on memory. at least the sample i had o hand!

10. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    btw, i had an AW17 r5 machine just a few days ago which i upgraded to 980m. and while with 180psu it had locked the 980m in power saving mode, which was possible to avoid by forcing K-boos and editing memory clock in Inspector, but it can't beyond the stock, with 240w psu all the problem on AW17 r5 were gone. and no trottling like on r4!

reborn2003 and mikecacho like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.