M17X R4 GTX980M Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by mikecacho, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Hi Mike,

I'm thinking of getting the 970M.. Hopefully it should have much less issues then the 980M and it will be a massive upgrade tbh.. I'm looking at Hidevolution but do you have any other idea if anyone has them cheaper?

Also about these screws, I'm a bit confused but where are these screws for? Is it for the screws holding the GPU down to the Mobo or the screws which connect the heatsink to the laptop? Do you have any idea how the screws are different...

Edit: Mike sorry for the barrage of questions however what is this black tape your talking about on the AMD heatsink? Also this polishing etc, is it really needed and what did you use? Can you give me some links on amazon so I can look for something similar?

Lastly, could you make a guide for R4 owners for what you did to make it work i.e, how did you install it etc. I'd be very grateful as I'm coming from a AMD 7970M like you did.. You know info like what steps you did to you know to install the drivers after installing the card etc... A bit more of a walkthrough...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    mikecacho likes this.
  2. mikecacho

mikecacho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    RJTech is cheaper as fox mentioned, you just dont get the warranty. I will update my OP to reflect a complete walk through.

3. mikecacho

Reputations:
    OP updated with step by step. If you are confused by the steps please post here and i will adjust the instructions.

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Mike you pointed out in your 1st post that unlocked BIOS is required.. Is this true? I'm sure that it will be ok if I'm in optimus mode anyways...

5. mikecacho

Reputations:
    For optimus it is not required, ill update that to reflect correctly. Just switch your boot option to UEFI, legacy rom can be enabled or disabled does not matter. If your partitions are not GTP then you can not disable legacy rom.

UPDATED-----------------------

Updated the OP

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Mike sorry for being so much trouble! Thanks for confirming this! My Windows 7 disk (SSD) is GPT and I have UEFI enabled... my 1TB HDD is MBR but it shouldn't be a problem right? After all, I guess GPT has to be on the windows 7 disk..

Thanks again, confirming this all makes my decision even easier.. I should be ordering my 970M tomorrow...

7. mikecacho

Reputations:
    Yes that is fine, your OS is on the GPT.

8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Hey Mike, what drivers are you currently using and what has worked best for you? Been reading through all the driver stuff in the threads on the 18x forum but getting really confused from what everyone is saying.. Can you please confirm this?

I.e for both optimus and dedicated mode :)

mikecacho likes this.
  9. mikecacho

Reputations:
    The 347.09, work best. Unfortunately finding any other AW user in here with experience seems to be slim these days and we got to many Clevo users confusing the masses (not intentionally), lol. With that being said i have been tweaking my vBios in an attempt to get a OC on the card. I have achieved a stable OC on the Memory side of the GPU, but as for the Core no matter what OC i put on it, the card still drops back to stock Core boost of 1126, and reports i am hitting max power... ( i have edited the power tables to allow up to an extra 50w. It seems the newest driver are lacking the support so the core clock never holds, even though i created new limits within Bios.

10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Yeah I have a few drivers ready here.. I've read up about how to mod inf so I'm not totally going to get stuck if anything happens..

Now Mike, my last and real worry is the damm pad layout nonsence.. How did you do your thermal pads? I was thinking of firstly screwing down the new GPU and put the pads on top of the components.. You've done the upgrade in the R4 with a AMD heatsink so I was wondering how thick did you need to do the pads etc? This is the main bit that scares me as if your pad layout is too thick, you might compress the GPU components and break them when you screw done the heatsink...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.