M17x R4 BRICKED BIOS RECOVERY (not vbios)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by naldor, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naldor

naldor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I make this thread for people who have bricked their bios on their r4(not the vbios), since the release of the A05 I have seen multiple people bricking their bios. The solution to this problem is really easy.

Go to Drivers en downloads | Dell [Nederland] and download the .exe file. Use winrar to extract this file, you will have a file named like this QBR00EC.fd, rename it to M17R4.hdr

Now format an USB stick to fat/fat 32, and ONLY put this file on it. We are almost done!!!

Unplug the battery from your laptop and be sure the power adapter is not plugged in, and put the USB in the eSate(NOT USB SLOT). Now hold the end button and plug in the adapter, your alienware should come back to live now!!!! It will beep some times and restart few times.

Note: Leave CMOS battery in, or it wont work

Thanks to SVL7/Brian, clearing things up for me, just go back into bios flashing :p

Edit: for people who bricked their r3 bios: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/601701-bios-recovery-case-you-brick-your-m17x-r3.html (I didnt make this guide, dont forget to say thanks to the maker)

rjtnag likes this.
  2. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Good stuff. +1Rep.

3. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just an FYI in my thread it shows you how to go about finding out the recovery filename, etc...You could have figured this out in a few minutes by referencing it ;)

4. naldor

Reputations:
    Haha, doesnt matter, I looked it up manually in bios :p, if I do something, I want to know how it works, so for me it was worth my time ;D

5. GeoCake

GeoCake http://ted.ph

Reputations:
    "rename it to M17R4.hdr."

With a dot at the end? Might want to remove that dot, it could be confusing. I saw this on TI, good job

6. naldor

Reputations:
    Changed :D, btw if any1 has still trouble recovering bios, you can always message me.

7. xxiv24

xxiv24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/678156-m17x-r4-bios-update-failed.html

Have you read this thread? I believe the file was named as per your instruction and initially it seems to flash but doesnt change the bricked state. Soon it stops being able to initiate a the flash sequence after several attempts. No lights nothings. Absolutely dead unlike just being bricked. I dont know if that is because the CMOS gets drained or what.

Pls verify. I am not an expert in this, but if I hope the guide you have set forth does really make a difference otherwise more people are gonna do risky stuff on bios thinking it can be recovered.

I am referring to only R4.

R3 works perfectly with the method mentioned in the link.

8. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    I have done this and can verify that this method works. I have an R4, to test, I went ahead and manually bricked my bios, and then used the M17R4.hdr blind flash and I'm back. Worked perfectly.

9. xxiv24

xxiv24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

That a terribly great news.Just one more query for the boys...Were you aware that 2 of the bricked cases highlighted in our forums were those having AMD GPU. Do you suggest this is a mere coincidence or possibly some connection may be there.

Thanks buddy

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing this information. +1 Rep

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.