M17x R4 and WX 7100 running on 120Hz eDP 3D display, IT WORKS!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SMGJohn, May 2, 2019.

1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I don't know what VDA is lol.

I didn't have to do anything special to get the card working. It was plug and play.

WX7100 with 120hz EDP
    RX 480 with LVDS

Nothing I recalled that I had to tweak anything.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You got it working under SG mode with the 60hz display iirc.

This is to get it working under eDP with 120hz display.

VDA = Virtual display adapter

SMGJohn likes this.
  3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    No .. you didn't read what I typed. I'll just make it clearer. Using one or the other bios , screen needed is as follow. No VDA needed.

WX7100 BIOS = EDP SCREEN
    RX 480 BIOS = LVDS SCREEN

I never had to use VDA.

TheReciever likes this.
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I never got it to work either way lol

5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yes I remember that, however we are 1 and 1 for methodology of implementing the GPU. We have yours which is the typical installation method, and we have SMGJohn stating the opposite and requiring the use of VDA to allow the system to POST.

Then I got my card and well it was DOA I guess, system couldnt even detect that the card was there at all.

7. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    There should be only one method lol , the method doesn't require you to buy anything extra lol.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I dont think John wanted to buy a VDA without having need for one.

Only John can confirm that I guess, I dont have the card anymore, moved on to more proven grounds.

9. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what has happened is that I checked my new panel that just arrived after a month shipping with a tractor and a donkey from China.
    WX 7100 vBIOS are both LVDS and eDP, the Rx 480 vBIOS are only LVDS as I checked just now.
    However you are incorrect when it came to plug and play, yes with the Samsung panels its just plug and play because the way they work is 60Hz out the box and 120Hz when you install the drivers so yeah of course it would work that I also checked even with a nVidia card this is the case.

However if you use other panels that are NOT Samsung, they are most likely 120Hz out the box so when you install it and boot its 120Hz even in BIOS/UEFI settings which means you do require the VDA otherwise you must hack the EDID on the panel to force it to boot 60Hz instead of 120Hz.
    That is why when I tried that first 120Hz panel that was wrong size it would not boot no matter what I did, because it was trying to run 120Hz straight from get go UEFI all the way to Windows.
    But the Samsung has two modes, 60Hz and 120Hz and it seems it switches to 120Hz when it detects the video card, to confirm this I booted with the Samsung display with only iGPU enabled and it worked but you wont get 120Hz even with drivers installed, because Intel HD 4000 does not seem to want to use it.

long2905 likes this.
  10. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There seems to be a literal truckload of conflicting information in this thread, so I'll add to it with this. Ran dual 8950M in (edit: Bridgeless XDMA) CFX with a Clevo P377SMA ages back, w/ 120HZ eDP. Can't remember the panel but its the stock one all the Clevo's used back in the day. At the current moment, both cards are dead (cores crushed) and CPU as well (same issue)