M17x R4 and WX 7100 running on 120Hz eDP 3D display, IT WORKS!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SMGJohn, May 2, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yep I ordered the very same around lunch time.

I'll test and share here when it arrives

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its possible for it to work of course as long as the connectors are compatible as you saw I used a completely incompatible screen form factor wise in my test and yet it worked because its a 40 pin eDP.
    For your ranger you have to expect to find ways to fasten that 4k screen of yours without screws most likely glue and duct tape and some buffers because the Ranger also uses 5.2mm form factor instead of the slim variant that is more common.

The Ranger however seems much easier to work with as its display has more open spaces so it might be possible, in worst case scenario you will have to cut open the bag under the monitor that contains the PCB board and place it on the back of it and use non-conductive yellow transparent tape to secure it properly. From there you will have to find a way to get it to stick to the frame and wont fall out or look odd, I imagine this would be easy though, double side tape around the edges and stick it to the frame, using some buffers to make it elevated a bit so its 5.2mm in the thickness instead of the usual 4.0mm thickness.

Just expect there to be work, on the M17x R3 and R4 its a real piece of work to get a display like that to work, I "suppose" I could glue it on the plexiglass panel, its light enough it wont go anywhere in fact when I think about it, its kind of tempting, its a damn good display I got at my hand, I never cut open that bag under, I imagine every damn cable runs from the bottom to the board and are pretty short so its most likely NOT going to work again I do not know I never done it.
    It WOULD be needed if you wanted it to fit, otherwise it would never fit.

4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Are you guys just NOW knowing this? ....

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I admit that vda's escaped my thoughts even though I'm aware of them lol

The other issue is I couldn't get the card to work via LVDS either and assumed it was a dead card.

6. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I always knew you had to edit the EDID firmware to get 120Hz to work on AMD cards but it was never a walk in the park going about doing it, I never realised VDA actually forced the internal display to run at the same refresh rate though in fact its not something widely known only few people have tried it, its not something most people know.
    What is more surprising is how well it works, brightness control works, the display actually does 120Hz in windows without any modifications to it.
    In fact it be interesting to test if FreeSync will work through modifying

M18x-oldie and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  7. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    I've tested a few AW/Dell laptops and have successfully bypassed the internal display using a external display from their mDP/DP ports for ages now

8. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    As for the 4K display upgrade, I believe @/TheReciever did a similar mod to fit his 120HZ display in the frame, I'll have a read up on that however.

9. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very interesting read! Didn't know Virtual DP adapter has such uses till now.

10. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Just bought a 4K AUO Panel, a WX 7100, and a 4980HQ PGA modded to hopefully fix up my AW 17 lol. If not, I've got a M6800 RGB restoration project for my friend on the way.

M18x-oldie, SMGJohn and long2905 like this.