M17x R4 and WX 7100 driver/detection issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SMGJohn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, it however does boot with eDP 60HZ screens from what I remember

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its not as though eDP panels cant output 60hz, so, curious to if you changed the EDID to boot with 60hz first just to have a working panel without the extra investment.

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Overriding the EDID is pretty painful if it does not work on your laptop you need speciality hardware and adapters to edit it which can cost a lot, typically not worth the trouble and you need EDID editor that supports your monitor EDID revision version

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well anything is a pain if you are ignorant to the process. Though admittedly my interest for that doesn't exist lol was just a thought as the card may likely work if the panel defaulted to 60hz instead of 120hz.

5. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    To edit EDID you need it to connect to a Windows computer OR a special EDID input device that usually costs hundreds of dollars, cheapest way would just be to buy eDP to HDMI board for your specific panel on eBay.
    Most EDID editing software cost money too though there some free ones no idea how good they are, its a popular method to overclock monitors using this method of overriding EDID at least back in the day

Here is an example, software is free but you need those devices.
    https://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=uedid

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The EDID is stored in a plain EEPROM/Flash ROM, a cheapo programmer and a SOIC-8 clip is all you need to program it, at most you need to lift one leg to disconnect the Write Protect pin so you can flash it.

7. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Do you have a tutorial on this or a thread about it? I suppose you still need the software to program it but do you copy the existing firmware and then modify it and flash it back?

8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have done it with a TL886 programmer, but I was only reflasing corrupted EDID that was copied from another display, no idea on what to use to change the parameters, there is also linux utilities, and if I'm not mistaken RWeverything can read and write EDID if its not write locked.

9. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Looks like it could be the only option I have, the useless American online store I bought my panel from sent me the wrong panel, LVDS one despite confirming with me prior they had the specific model I wanted in stock.
    Useless would not be enough to describe them.

Anything that is 60Hz 5.2mm width eDP panels is almost impossible to find anymore in China, but the 120Hz ones are everywhere. As long as I can use a programmer to download the EDID itself from the panel so I can modify it then its not a problem, this is the only part where I am really confused about.

10. SMGJohn

Reputations: