M17x R4 and WX 7100 driver/detection issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SMGJohn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I've had 3 failed upgrades so far, all known to work. The 980m and 1070 (which I think was due to the shoddy motherboard) then the WX 7100 which was DOA. Then my 780m died, then the motherboard died, then my 4930mx. Then my HDD interposer cable died. Just a serious pain, and I dont have the funds to stretch it. I might as well just go with a 980m with the plan to get the 1070 later, just didnt want to use nvidia.

Though if you get that 4k panel running and overclock the refresh rate for 1080p then I might just reconsider. I plan to build a desktop regardless with AMD based components just wanted a sister machine that was also AMD powered.

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is quite a shame to hear, the biggest issue I ever seen upgrading laptops have been in the display department, displays are incredibly difficult to get correct specially when buying outside of original screens and more often than not you have to settle with inferior screens because they are only ones that work, screens are hilariously property strict.

However you be happy to note that Rx 480/580/WX 7100 are edging ahead of the 1060 6GB now in quite a range of games lately, thanks to AMD's driver optimisation spree going on and FineWine technology (Joke intended) the WX 7100 is by all intent just a Rx 580 with Pro Radeon certified components, better die and Pro Radeon vBIOS.
    And if I can get the card working in PEG, I should also be able to unlock the vBIOS fully without much problems and adjust it closer to a stock Rx 480 or Rx 580 experience at 150 or 170W although I do not want to push it too far it apparently has extremely beefy VRM.

So if you do ever decide to get the WX 7100 and use PEG, it will be better experience than 1060 specially on the software side imao. Its just a matter of getting it to work I suppose that is the bigger issue.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I never considered the 1060 an option, it's basically a less flexible lower vram 980m in my eyes.

But yes I'll wait on your results. In the meantime I'll start looking into modding in a quick disconnect water loop

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    That taobao link just dropped to 204 USD. Given that, I may try one last time after I get the refund from my last wx 7100 purchase. The owner seems to be unresponsive so it's looking like I'll get my refund and keep the gpu.

SMGJohn and kingofswag187 like this.
  5. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really nice, must be the sale before the big holiday in China keep in mind it starts next month and shops will close for one to two weeks. My display panel said it shipped from America but my tracking shows China LOL, so its gonna be a while till I get it

6. AlienHack

AlienHack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so i have a m17x r4 with an 680 inside. i was preparing to install a 1070 mxm in it.
    so i got the 120 hz edp screen and now i read your thread. so will the wx 7100 work in my alienware with the edp 120hz screen?

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell firmware seems to block the WX 7100 from working with the eDP 120HZ screen, however it will work with a eDP 60HZ/4K 60hz iirc

8. AlienHack

AlienHack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so no option for me. i really love the 120 screen.

9. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, it really is quite nice, even the colors are half decent for a 6bit panel, makes me miss my ZR30W however

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    On their respective native models, but beyond that no one actually knows.