M17x R4 and WX 7100 driver/detection issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SMGJohn, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It worked just fine, but the problem is the 4GB VRAM limitation which I have to get around the issue, also turn off PCI power saving in Windows, it makes the GPU go offline and online constantly which makes doing fan control difficult.

2. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Anyone who want to solve this issue, refer to this forum thread instead or more specifically, this post.
    The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Nice. I want to see how it will performs in the M18X R2.

Where is the thread link ?

4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Do these cards support LVDS and CrossFire?

6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    it support LVDS. The card does not have a crossfire connector on it. I'm not sure if its possible.

ssj92 likes this.
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    The newer AMD cards can do crossfire over PCI-e instead of using a connector actually.

I am not sure if this also works on these laptop cards. It would be very interesting if two of these worked in crossfire in our laptops.

It performs very similar to a GTX 1060, slightly slower. Should be a bit faster than 980M SLI maybe.

Desktop cards support Crossfire Pro so I am so curious now if two of these would work :

https://www.develop3d.com/hardware/...rkstation-solidworks-3dsmax-vred-steam-vrmark

8. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Sadly the crossfire has to be supported by the chipset and motherboard, without either it wont work and requires the cable

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I thought the only requirement was an x16 slot for each card?

10. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    You need the AMD XDMA support through Chipset and motherboard or else it wont work, basically its routing the CF signal through the XDMA implemented in the motherboard, this is why you see Crossfire certified on many mid to high end desktop motherboards.
    I have no idea if laptop motherboards have those implemented, I would not count on it as I have yet to see any laptop utilising Polaris crossfire however despite all of this your laptop SHOULD be able to detect both GPU's regardless the bridge is so they communicate together.
    Future Vulkan and Dx12 will utilise Multi GPU technology which means there no longer has to be a bridge to support both GPU, as stated by Vulkan dev team that AMD, Intel and/or nVidia can all work together rendering a Vulkan game in the future with Multi GPU technology.
    This however seems like its going to take a while to get implemented, they first mentioned this in the infancy of Vulkan API which is a few years ago by now.

Its better to just get a Rx 480 and edit the BIOS to unlock it to full sized desktop power rather than doing Crossfire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.