M17x R4 and WX 7100 driver/detection issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SMGJohn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    EDIT 2019.05.09: Run WX 7100 on 120Hz eDP displays using the methods described in this post http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ning-on-120hz-edp-3d-display-it-works.828697/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently got my WX 7100 from taobao, MXM card 3.1b 130W TDP, a Dell card commonly used in Dell workstation laptops but also HP workstations.

My laptop is a M17x R4 using the A11 unlocked bios to gain access to the advanced video settings.
    Installation was fine, the computer boots with the card installed and surprisingly the AMD Pro drivers also installs just fine.
    I run the GPU in SG mode and UEFI since PEG ends up in blackscreen and several beeping sounds, noticing that the temperatures are not detected the fan fails to spin to appropriate speed so the card ends up quite hot unless I run it at max manually.

I have tried to install drivers multiple ways and I run Windows 8.1 so I have run them normally with admin rights, then I tried turning off driver verification that did not work, then I tried to install them using backwards compatibility since AMD only provides Windows 7 and 10 drivers.

Normal way the drivers install just fine so they do with driver verification off, however upon restarting the drivers say the GPU is not detected and must be inserted, other times the software is stating the driver is faulty when its not.
    I have also tried to install the GPU driver through device manager, that did not work either. While I have LVDS display someone else on the forum sporting M18x R2 with LVDS has gotten the WX 7100 working just fine.

I do however have Rx 480 vBIOS that I can flash however if anyone who has run into similar issues know the fix there no point in me trying just yet so I will keep it as a last resort.

upload_2018-7-15_3-48-54.png
    GPU-Z before I install the drivers, however the only changes after installing drivers is the device name.

WX 7100 - 15.07.18.PNG
    After installing driver

Edit:
    tried to flash from vBIOS 015.050.000.000.000951 to 015.050.000.001.019413 but same deal no change.
    Strange things happen in HWiNFO as well: HWiNFO - WX 7100.PNG

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    SMGJohn likes this.
  3. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  4. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    SMGJohn likes this.
  5. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Thanks, seems like there is a lot of different versions of vBIOS for the WX7100

6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    I’m getting a m17x R4 delivered tomorrow. Can you point me to the latest unlock bios? I will also try to install the WX7100 card in it too to see if I get the same issue as you.

7. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    The latest unlocked BIOS is only A11 but it works fine.
    I assume you are familiar with the process to unlocking the BIOS, I will be uploading my full collection of Rx 480 and WX 7100 vBIOS with status report soon.

Attached Files:

8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    Do I flash this bios like I do on a M18X R2 ?

also , why it says that the file is a threat/Virus ?

9. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    This is how you flash it: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1516-m17x-r4-unlocked-bios-versions/

No idea, I did not put a virus in there that is for sure, is it Defender moaning? Its probably because I had to split the file into two to let me upload it to NBR 2mb restriction.
    I am also currently modifying a Rx 480 vBIOS from 4GB to 8GB and modifying the clockspeed too to match WX 7100 because the Pro drivers are complete wank for gaming.

10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    I download the A11 V2 unlocked from zippyshare lol, I was googling.

It’s installed now.

Did you get the card to work with my bios file ?