M17X R4 - 980m - Throttling Research and Workaround

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use DDU to completely remove the driver, and reinstall. Also make sure that the card is seated correctly in the socket.

2. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I broke my drivers just to see if that hibernation fix will work on my system and it does. One time going to hibernation and then it can be disabled in cmd - there is still no throttling.

3. Lord Fisher

Lord Fisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No luck I am afraid. I have done many things to see if I can fix it but nothing seems to work. I been pointing at motherboard issue, but as of this time still not sure.

It's a very strange fix, it's like the card does not fully load on cold boot. The only thing hibernation can be doing to the card is power state. Can someone confirm if a restart also has the same effect as the hibernation fix.

4. bamse1

bamse1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can confirm that once you've got the pc in hibernation the card will still perform good even after restarting - the only case when the hibernation fix will have to be repeated (form my personal experience so far) is when you unplug your pc from power source and you don't have the battery connected.

5. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Trying Windows 10 again (performance on the same settings seems to be slightly worse than 8.1):
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11055666?
    This is on 361.91 - a bit surprised, but there was no throttling from the first install, so did not have a change to test hibernation fix yet. Also had no issues with my 120Hz screen as some people seem to have on newer Alienware 17 (2013 4xxx cpus). Current Windows 10 release (10586) in general seems to be a lot more stable than the initial release 10240.
    vr test.jpg

6. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox -- Could you please re-title this thread to something more helpful like "M17xR4 980m Throttling Research and Workaround"? It would probably be helpful for people searching this issue later. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi bro. I am no longer a moderator so I am unable to edit the title.

8. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After a while using Prema's vbios I decided to reflash SVL7's vbios just temporarily.
    Stumbled upon a new find, sort of a semi-workaround, Windows 8/10 Fast startup. Most Maxwell installation guides recommend disabling fast startup from the BIOS ( I don't know why TBH), I enabled it there and in Windows power settings to see if the hybrid shutdown also affects throttling since it's a similar process to hibernation.

- No throttling, in fact I can shutdown, restart cold or warm and the throttling will not be there at stock speeds 1202/2505 @ 1.000v.
    However, overclocking is another matter as I need to put the computer to hibernation, wakeup and overclocking would be throttle-less.

- Another thing is, when the GPU is overclocked and then I do a shutdown, then start the computer (fast startup enabled) the gpu will still run at the pre-shutdown clocks!
    (let's say I'm running @ 1300/2905 1.05v --> shutdown ----> turn on ------> the GPU still runs @ 1300/2905 1.05v)
    Restarting will reset clocks to stock speeds, since it's a clean shutdown.

- Nevertheless, hibernation with an overclock will result in a freeze upon waking up. (↑ freezing doesn't occur with hybrid shutdown ↑)
    @j95 what do you think mate?

9. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Interesting. I have Fast Startup off and hybrid sleep off on mine. With those settings, hibernation is fine at SVL7 stock clocks and overclocked. However, a full shutdown will often knock mine back to throttle-state (and definitely resets the clocks back to stock). I've not tested with Fast Startup and hybrid sleep on yet... Almost sounds like we're getting into the "choose your limitations" phase of this thread :)

Good research, Solo - thanks for adding that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.