M17X R4 - 980m - Throttling Research and Workaround

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try SVL7 vbios yet? I have been using them for just over a year now and could not be happier. 76C seems a bit high (if ambient temp is around 22C) for a quick Fire strike test.

2. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll give it a shot to complete the exercise. I did a fallout 4 test after on the 1.1.1 vbios (or rather... instead of going to bed I played fallout 4 for a couple of hours). Temperatures were about the same (76-78) with loads at 90-99 - which you're right - is a bit high for an all-the-time overclock. Also, it would be nice to not have to marry the 330w (at 1.06v you're outstripping the 240w at peak).

I'm now also curious if the same hibernate exploit will work on later drivers (though people have had a hell of a time with 36x across the board so I might hold off on that until I have a reason).

3. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    SVL7 vbios addendum

1. Flashed the card
    2. Cold boot
    3. Firestrike test: garbage

[​IMG]

4. Hibernate
    5. Wait 5 seconds
    6. Resume
    7. Firestrike test: perfect

[​IMG]

8. Firestrike test 240w: perfect

[​IMG]

This vbios is probably more practical for walking around - at its stock, it doesn't appear to out-strip the 240w (or rather, with my system components and cpu oc it doesn't).

That all said - the hibernate exploit... it sounds more like a driver bug than anything else. Also it sounds stupid as crap and like the sort of hocus pocus solution I'd normally just ignore. Until anyone else reproduces the test, all I can really say is "works for me". However, I am going to tag a few people to get some eyes on and opinions (people who have weighed-in previously or fought with this platform previously) - @woodzstack @j95 @Prema @Mr. Fox @Solo wing

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Hmm that's quite weird. I naturally don't advise touching hibernation with a ten foot pole.

5. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been using 352.84 + Windows 10 since June/2015, I truly gave up on all the other drivers. +1 @woodzstack I want to keep away as far as possible from Hibernation/Fast-startup.
    While gaming, the card performs great, (1202/2910) no need to P-state match. Firestrike on the other hand causes the core clock to switch to P1 (1126/2910).

6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Are you using our custom vbios or someone elses' ?

7. Solo wing

Reputations:
    Using johnksss & svl7 vbios, the card runs great and super cool @ 1.000v. Prema's v2 caused lock-ups and ran very hot.

woodzstack likes this.
  8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    SVL7's is higher voltage when it is used and in turbo, whereas Prema's I think its a more steady voltage at all clock speeds, from what I understand. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

9. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From what I saw, the SVL7 vbios runs at a steady 1.000v. The one you're shipping changes with the current frequency (between 0.975v and 1.030v). The prema 1.1.1 vbios runs at a steady 1.062v (which is interesting because that voltage paired with an 3940xm pushes the power draw to about 247w - might explain why some had so much trouble with it).

I'm actually now wondering about the voltage core on initialization. Here's why:

On the 2 prema vbios...es that I tried, the core voltage is set north of 1.000v (1.03 and 1.06 respectively). On drivers outside of 350/2/3, the card initialized strange after shutdown and throttles massively under high load (but can be cheated using hibernate, seemingly). Now, the SVL7 vbios is set to 1.000v - cold boot, the card runs like poop and can be cheated in a similar way. However, on this vbios, the cheated state survives a shutdown (not a cold boot, but coming back up from shutdown, the card still runs fine).

It makes me wonder if an unlocked vbios that starts at a lower voltage and clock (say, 1035 @ 0.975v) would behave more consistently on the newer drivers. Does anyone know if a low voltage vbios variant was ever made?

10. Solo wing

Reputations:
    So it seems the GPU today was in the mood to allow for core OCing :D Finally in the 10k range!(1350/2910)
    t2.PNG
    fs.PNG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.