M17X R4 - 980m - Throttling Research and Workaround

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariussx

mariussx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, Schurke

It's 359.00 with J95 modded inf file and slv7 vbios (84.04.22.00.20) in a dedicated mode. I am trying dedicated only for now to see if my screen is still getting EDID corruption, since it seemed easier to get it than using Optimus mode.

2. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And are you experiencing throttling under heavy load or is that combination working on your rig? If no throttling, are you using any special steps to get there (like J95's state matching technique etc)? (Sorry for the storm of questions - piqued my curiosity now)

3. mariussx

Reputations:
    Nothing whatsoever really :D Just DDU all the graphics drivers and installed the modded driver as usual. No matching P states or anything at all, I just set the 3D mark to maximum performance in nvidia control panel - my GPU never throttles (got it from German gaming laptop re-seller); if it does at any point - I just repeat DDU and driver reinstall. When overclocking the GPU I am trying to use the lowest voltage possible for the benchmark not to crash. And of course I only use those clocks for the benchmark to see if the latest drivers are any better than previously released. Clocks in games are either stock or slightly higher if I need some extra performance.

Temps and no throttle clocks below:
    temps+clocks.gif

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. Schurke

Reputations:
    That makes sense - it sounds as though you maintain that fresh install state for as long as you can, then just re-install the driver if you lose it. Not the worst thing. I'll give that a try for a bit and see how long it holds between re-installs (given that I use my M17X as a laptop - in and out of my bag, on and off the wall charger).

5. mariussx

Reputations:
    Edit, just tried 3d mark 11:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10817423

Well, it stays in no throttle state for months... The only time GPU start to throttle is after new driver install sometimes, when I have to re-DDU again (sometimes even twice - it would throttle again, so DDU and re-install again etc) and then it's back to no throttle. I forgot to mention my PSU is 330W (upgrade over original 240W, which came with 680m at the time). If you are using 240W PSU, I believe that is your main issue with throttling... R4 does not need any mods for the PSU, genuine DELL PSU (Dell part number XM3C3) works perfectly fine. :) I my case, the laptop stays plugged in most of the time as well, I almost never use it on the battery.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Solo wing likes this.
  6. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using driver 352.84 on windows 10, 120Hz display, and a 240W PSU. CPU is OC to 4.3 GHz. I think a 330W PSU is a must.
    After installing the XM processor, I started getting driver crashes on SVL7's vbios (1.00v). Now testing with Prema's vbios (1.062v).

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    So, you and @Solo wing support my max power draw theory, BUT - the OP still has pretty awesome performance regardless.

8. Schurke

Reputations:
    @woodzstack , @Solo wing , @mariussx - Do you guys have access to power draw measurement tools (like a KillAWatt or similar)? Tests at my place showed most of the Firestrike benchmarks not even cresting 200w (and underclocking the CPU I was able to get down to about 165w draw and still was throttling after leaving the "fresh install" state). I'm wondering now if my readings/tool are off and if any of you can verify... Because if the draw is sub 200w, a 330w PSU shouldn't be much more than a placebo... right?

9. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox did a power draw test of a single 980M, it never went below 270 during the test:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    so 10-15% OVER the 240W PSU.. minimum. interesting. Well, sure puts things into perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.