M17x R3/R4 - 3D Discussion, Questions and Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by pcgeek, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcgeek

pcgeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I love the 3D effect. I have been using 3D Vision for over 2 years now. I jumped on the bandwagon when it first came out. I have it on 2 TVs and on my desktop (AW2310 Monitor). The glasses are not interchangeable. nVidia glasses are required for the nVidia emitter assembly. When I connect it to my Mitsubishi TV, I use the same emitter and glasses. When I use the Samsung TV it uses its own emitter and I have to use the Samsung glasses. There are 3rd party glasses that claim to handle signals from various types and manufacturers, but I have not tried them yet. There are inherent problems with the different types but I would refer you elsewhere to learn about it.

I have 4 pair of the nVidia glasses which are rechargeable via USB and I easily get 30+ hours on a full charge. I have 2 pair of the Samsung rechargeable glasses and I get about the same. I now have all 6 of those on my old external powered USB hubs so I don't have a problem with charge. I also have 4 pair of Samsung glasses that use batteries which drain them like water.

I wear glasses and find the 3D glasses fit comfortably over them. For some reason I do not wear corrective lenses when playing games in front of my computer monitor (3D or not), but I do when watching movies. I am near sighted. I am 6'6" and 310lbs so I have a big head too .

I find that watching 3D movies causes fewer problems for me than playing 3D games. The shutter effect would bother me a little when I first started and I would take them off after 15 min or so. It had me seriously second guessing them, but after 2 weeks or so, I started getting used to them. I have played Steam HalfLife games for over 2 hours and had a blast, though it felt good to take them off for a while. I watched all the Shrek movies in 3D with 5 minute breaks between them. My eyes were pretty tired after that, but then they would have been tired even without the 3D effects.

I have a friend who can't see the 3D effect at all. My daughter gets headaches when trying to play 3D games for more than 15 minutes, but she enjoys the movies. Over the last 2 years I have had numerous friends and family over that have enjoyed the experience from the very beginning without a problem. There is a depth control which sort of plays with where your eyes have to focus for close and far things, and can cause me some discomfort if I set that too high. So I think everyone is different and how they respond, but the majority of the people enjoy the experience at my house.

For what it’s worth, I find it gets annoying when I want to have our card night at my house and they would rather watch the TV or take turns playing on the computer. Pretty sad for a bunch of 50+ yr old farts.

deadsmiley likes this.
  2. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good post. Copying to a new thread. Folks, lets discuss the R3/R4's 3D capability, performance, compatibility, game and DVD/BluRay 3D playback... This thread will be for anything 3D on the 17x.

As a reminder, be respectful of others and their opinions - you don't have to agree but flaming someone is not going to be allowed. Trolling and inflammatory posting is not permitted here. Review the forum rules if you are new to NBR.

Thanks and enjoy 3D on the M17x. :)

3. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @PCgeek

Thanks for your fresh input. I remember trying out Samsung and Sony 3D tv/movie at BestBuy for the movie IceAge (I think that's what it's called?). I have glasses as well, and the 3D glasses fit okay over them... Only thing was, the movie wasn't that great. 3D wasn't that "deep" (depth?). Was more gimmicky than anything else. I liked the 3D at Disneyland (Captain EO from the early 90s!) or at the Imax theater at the California Science Center (sea creatures) better.

Maybe it was just that movie or maybe the glasses were all smudged from the thousands of kid hands all over them. Iono.

Does the TV matter? Or it is purely the glasses or the movie which contributes to the quality/"realness"/depth/effect of 3D?

Once again, thx for this thread. I will follow in hopes to learn more about 3D, and maybe invest in one when I grow up to be a rich man someday.

4. Emm3

Emm3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How often do I use it? Recieved my r3 end of january and am mailing it back Saturday or Monday. I have not used 3d ONCE. Ordered my new r3 with 6970

5. kalgi21

kalgi21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I love the 3d so far, I'm not sure if there is a way to just activate/deactivate the 3d while playing for now I usually have to go to Nvidia settings and turn it on before I start the game.

Other than that there are customizable shortcuts for increasing/decreasing the depth even while you're in game.

6. Emm3

Emm3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aye I chose nebula red because it's the same color as muscle ;) the 460 was enough for me but I felt like paying for the 120hz and 3d bundle was wasting money on the 3d kit. If they offered 120hz without 3d I would have taken the 460. The 2820 Is hardly a speed boost for the money and I plan to install my own dual ssd anyways .

I just couldn't game on the 3d. Every time I turned on a game it was in 3d mode I just looked over at my bag and was like... Ughh glasses.. It looks cool and alll but I'm pretty competiive in the games i play and after all my life playing without 3d I don't think I'm about to start.

7. Emm3

Emm3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I had it on in control panel i always got text at the start of a game saying ctrl+t would turn it on/off not sure if that is default settings for all.

8. kalgi21

kalgi21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tried the Ctrl+T the other day but while in game playing at 3d it won't deactivate it and vice versa so I guess something is wrong but I'll try again later :).

9. Irrational23

Irrational23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Few things I noticed. If you have 3D enabled... it will start all games in 3d. You can then Ctrl+T to go to normal. But what I noticed was that the game will then play at 120 Hz.

If you disable 3d.... game will cap at 60hz. So you have to enable 3d to get 120 hz from games.

10. kalgi21

kalgi21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This might be important to fully utilize our 120 Hz screens(IIRC some games doesn't allow you to configure the screen's refresh rate). I'll try the enable/disable shortcut again later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.