M17x r3 680M compatability

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by BlakeE450, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legolas84

Legolas84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The mainboard of R4 is compatible with R3?

Change mainboard should resolve any incompatibilities?

2. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not really. It might physically fit, although the engineer that replaced the 580 on my R3 and the display on my R4 said that the R4 was easier to dismantle - hinting at possible changes. Also it has a different chipset so you'd probably need a new CPU as well :(

3. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will test this within a few days along with some other stuff. The thread on Laptopvideo2go is a great idea.

4. kakaroth1977

kakaroth1977 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Up??

There are anyone who have r3 full working with gtx680m?

5. YodaGoneMad

Reputations:
    Lot of people have it working without Optimus, no one I have seen has it working with Optimus. I should get one next week and will test a bit more.

6. kakaroth1977

kakaroth1977 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you Master Yoda ;)

And with 120hz 3d it works fine?

7. YodaGoneMad

Reputations:
    It works great with the 120 hz but 3D will be disabled for your laptop screen. This is something set at a very low hardware level and the 680m is not an approved card for the 3D screen. However, aside from 3D it will be fully functional.

I don't have 3D so I wasn't really worried about that, but I guess there are 2 known issues. Optimus doesn't work, and 3D doesn't work. Optimus MIGHT be fixable, 3D will never work.

8. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    That's not true, it could be possible to fix this, but apparently there's no big interest. Someone asked for this at bios-mods and I said I might be able to help if he's willing to test some things, but he never replied. Same at T|I.
    People don't really seem to be interested in this, not worth a lot of time on something like this if in the end nobody is willing to test it.

9. martin541

martin541 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it would be nice to get the 680 working with Optimus as i cant roll with just a dedicated gpu as i bring my laptop into college thats the one thing putting me off getting a 680m and well the price as well.

10. YodaGoneMad

Reputations:
    Interest might pick up as the 680m becomes more available. It is still really expensive on eBay and Dell is back ordered on the card only. Since I don't have the 3D screen I can't test it, but maybe someone else will see your post here and be able to do it. I was under the impression it was basically not feasible to add the 3D support, but it is good to hear it might be possible.

What I am currently planning to do is just to manually switch. In the unlocked bios versions there is an option to select what adapter to use. It is really easy to get to and you just change the single option and it switches. Maybe takes 4 key strokes or something. It isn't perfect, and if your switched a lot it wouldn't be feasible, but I only go mobile a few times a week so it will work for me. I will also probably test to see if I can get Optimus to work, but I don't have a lot of faith. Lot of other people have tried and failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.