M17x R2 vs M17x R3

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by avsfan4, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avsfan4

avsfan4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the option of buying a M17x R2 or a M17x R3 and was wondering which setup/cost would be best in your opinion. I need a machine for gaming/light video editing. I don't have tons of extra money for upgrades besides a potential GPU upgrade on the R3 sometime in the next few months. I have had a R2 before and loved it but was wondering what you guys think about the age of the machines/specs compared to value. Thanks in advance for any advice or help! :)

1) What is your budget?
    Anything less than 1300
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Alienware
    b. Dislike: HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming/Light Video Editing
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    BF3, WOW, Warfighter, Few newer titles in the future
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not important
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Doesn't matter
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    I prefer 1080+
    13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Glossy
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Next few weeks
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-3 years
    17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500 is perfect SSD isnt needed but nice
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

DVD is fine but Blu-Ray is a plus

The two laptops I am looking at:
    Specs:
    M17x R2: **$1100** on NBR
    17" RGB LED LCD @ 1920x1200
    Dual ATI Radeon HD 5870 CF
    i7-920XM
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM
    Slot-loading DVDRW/Blu-Ray drive
    Intel Ultimate-N 6300
    9 Months Warranty Left

vs

M17x R3: ***$950*** On Craigslist
    17" 1600x900p HD Screen (If it was 1080p I would have jumped on this days ago but 900P screens tend to bother me a little)
    i7-2720QM
    12GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram
    240GB SSD + 500GB 7200RPM HDD
    8x Slot Loading DVDRW
    GTX 560M 1.5GB (I would upgrade this later)
    Intel Advanced-N 6250
    3 Months Warranty Left (Dont know weather CC or not)

2. KumquatWrath

KumquatWrath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    if you don't need battery life I'd say go for r2. never had it myself but from what I've read the screen is absolutely incredible

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

3. avsfan4

avsfan4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Its quite amazing from what I remember but I was wondering if the 1080P screen upgrade on the R3 would be sufficient enough or is it THAT big of a difference on quality.

4. avsfan4

avsfan4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any other opinions on these two? The seller of the R3 just dropped his price to 900 but has no driver disks, manuals or boxes.

5. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    I would actually check the outlet, there are some great models in there usually, and its updated daily. with 1300 you might snatch a r4.

although if you are going to upgrade your gpu in the next months i would actually just buy the notebook at that time, a 7970m is around 400 so yeah for 1700 you can just buy a r4 easily on the outlet

6. tetsussaiga

tetsussaiga Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The R2 was the flagship AW, its build quality is far superior to the R3 and there are less issues with it. It outperforms the R3 in every category except the SSD. If the R3 screen were 1080p, it would come down to how picky you are about color gamut and viewing angles, but to an average person it wouldn't make much of a difference. I see you have a 95% gamut Sager notebook though, so it seems like the R2 screen would be a better choice for you. Did your previous R2 have the RGBLED display? Anyhow, since the R3 is 900p, I wouldn't even consider it. The XM CPU is better than the 2720QM, and even if you were to upgrade to a 2920XM, the R3 cooling is inadequate and you'd have throttling issues. With the 9 month warranty as well, I'd say it would be safer to go with the R2. The 5870Ms are still strong, stick with them for a few months and upgrade to a 8970M sometime next year? ;)

7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    Dell Factory Outlet

btw there are some m6600 in there that are less than 1300, and sincerely I would prefer workstation class quality instead of aw quality.

8. avsfan4

avsfan4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I appreciate the in depth comparison. really answers most of my questions! I had the 1200p on my old R2 and loved the quality and contrast compared to almost every 1080p I have ever had. Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.