M17x R2 Most modern graphics cards supported?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by nforce4max, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    cheaper no. The AMD card is the absolute king of price / performance ratio. You can see if you can get a cheap GTX 680M/780M/880M/970M, which are around the same performance, usually more expensive but who knows, maybe you're lucky. A GTX 675MX is also acceptable.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I’ll sell you a 680M for 200$ shipped, should be more than enough for your needs and less power hungry. You will need hwinfo to control your fan speeds though

3. poorejj

poorejj Newbie

Reputations:
    @deadsmiley

I have just installed the Quadro M4000M in my Dell Precision M6700 and I see that you have some experience with this card. I am trying to get some performance gains and would like you help if at all possible.

4. tysfamily

tysfamily Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tryed a GTX 965 and just got blank screen. Anyone know how to get it to work?

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maxwell GPUs will not work on the M17X R2, they are incompatible with the display. You 'might' be able to get it to work with the right vBIOS and the CCFL display, but it is not worth the effort trying.

6. tysfamily

tysfamily Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was just asking cause of others talking in this thread about getting 970 980 and 1060 working. When I can't get my 770 or 965 to work. Thought as much, thanks for the reply

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sucks really, the 980M would have been a nice upgrade as it is in the M15X. As it stands I think 8970M crossfire is the best you can do in the M17X R2, either that or a 680M. I ran a single 680M in mine for a while, which performed pretty well. Temps were pretty good too, only issue with it was there was no native fan control so you had to use HWInfo to force it. I think the Clevo 8970Ms have native fan control, but the Dell ones do not if memory serves me.

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I have tried before with CCFL display, it made no difference as the BIOS VIDEO module in the M17x R1 and M17x R2 are incompatible with Gen 2 Maxwell cards (GM2xx cores, not GM1xx)

GTX 770M + anything higher has problems with M17x R2 due to audio IRQ conflicts. Best card will always be Clevo 8970M since it offers native fan control and good performance.

Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  9. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am currently in a process of upgrading an M17XR2. Right now I'm waiting for arrival of 1920x1200 screen (CCFL), and thus the questions begin:
    1. What actually are the odds of an M4000M running in it? I've read about the Maxwell GPUs behaving oddly around this PC, but maybe some fiddling can let it run?
    2. Would a pair of GTX 860M or 765M in SLI work and perform well in this beast?

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    1. You wasted money on the CCFL panel, it is junk compared to RGBLED
    2. M4000M will work, with external display only. Forget it on internal display, it will never work
    3. Neither 860M nor 765M work in M17x R2, their onboard audio has IRQ conflicts with onboard M17x R2 audio card. Disable audio at expense of using those graphics cards.