M17x R2 Most modern graphics cards supported?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by nforce4max, Aug 23, 2017.

1. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am trying to determine if this machine is capable of properly running the 970M or preferably the 980M and if it can't what is the top Nvidia card that would work? Has anyone been able to get the mxm gtx 1060 working let alone with the rgp panel?

Just trying to find the sweet spot and make this machine last a couple of years once I buy one.

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Been looking into this myself. The fastest confirmed card i know that works is the Radeon M290X (or 8970m). There are some Dell M390Xs for sale so i'm wondering weather to give that a try since the newer AMD cards have no LVDS support.

I believe a few people tried to get the 970M and 980M working, but they had issues with inverted colours. Perhaps it could be fixed with a modded vBIOS or modded driver, but i'm not sure if anyone is willing to do that.

The 1060 would be interesting, as far as i'm aware nobody has tried it. I do not think it has LVDS support though(although i could be wrong).

I'd recommend following this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-hopeful-of-keeping-mxm-3-0b-alive-thread.795048/page-167

King of Interns is looking into getting the E9550 MXM cards with LVDS support, which could be promising.

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    the GTX 1060 is not happening since the card doesn't support LVDS.

I don't think a GTX 970M or GTX 980M is worth it, your CPU will bottleneck in most games anyways, I'd shoot for a HD 7970M instead if I were you, also buy liquid metal thermal compound to keep the card cool if you want it to live long. The card is cheap, still pretty powerful and works with your AW.

4. nforce4max

Reputations:
    I can live with cpu bottlenecks so that isn't a big deal to me until it is wimpy single and dual cores, the only problem I have with the 7970m is the 2GB vram but it is certainly top of my list at this time but I want more. The quadro M4000M has my interest if it doesn't have the inverted color issue.

5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the HD 7970M/HD 8970M is pretty much all you can get in terms of performance, everything past the HD 7970M/HD 8970M will be bottlenecked to around 7970M/HD 8970M performance and that's when I'm assuming you have a high clocked 920XM in that case. 2GB Vram isn't that bad, only very few games would need more than 2GB anyways, if it's bothering you that much, then you could go for HD 8970M instead, it has 4GB vram, which should be plenty.

6. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    Depends on the game. Something CPU intensive will not run as well, but something GPU intensive could still see large improvements over those cards.

Unless the crossfire drivers for the 7970M are any good, I would suggest going for a single card setup. I currently have 5870 crossfire and although it will run most of my games at 60fps, they are buggy as hell. Either it won't work at all, will crash the game or it will introduce some random graphics bugs like flashing shadows et cetera. Of course, this is not the fault of the GPUs, its the fault of lazy developers who will not add proper support for crossfire or SLI.

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Ohhhh I have quite some questions for you. I was always interesting in knowing how a HD 5870 setup will do these days, Pm incoming ;3.

It's not smart to buy a card based on that tho, I mean if it throttles on 70% of the titles, then why bother anyways? instead save the money and go for something way more balanced like the 8970M.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Danishblunt, you need to lay off the blunts. The 920XM/940XM is capable of feeding my 970M just fine, it does NOT bottleneck them, though it is getting close to that point. A desktop 920 (tops out a 2.98ghz) still doesn't bottleneck a gtx 1070. a 920XM has been shown to run 3.3ghz reliably.

That being said, I think the best possible cards are the GTX 680M in SLI or the 7970M. The Maxwell cards are not supported in RGBLED M17x R2 systems due to color depth problems. I'm sure pascal would be more of the same, and they don't even support LVDS connections. Later kepler cards had some IRQs conflicts with the M17x R2 that did not allow them to post (780M and 880M will not work)

I don't recommend the W7170M/R9 M295x/M390X because of how hot they run. 680M runs the coolest of the bunch, 7970M runs cooler than the W7170M.

nforce4max and Arrrrbol like this.
  9. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    Only reason i'm considering the W7170M/M390X and the M290X is because they are single cards. I've got 5870 crossfire in mine at the moment and the performance is pretty good considering the age, however crossfire is rather buggy and does not have good support in certain games. There is also the issue of the 7970M having a less than stellar production quality leading to failures - I would be quite wary of buying one used because of that. There is also the fact that the M290X and M390X support DX12.

As you say, the heat is an issue with AMD cards. The 7970M has the same TDP as the W7170M so in theory they should be quite similar (although lets remember the 7170M is going to have lower GPU usage in games as its a faster card). Some people have modded the M18X 100W heat sink into the M17X by cutting away some material from the fins, perhaps I should consider trying that before i upgrade to something that high powered.

10. nforce4max

Reputations:
    Thanks this was what I needed.