M17x-R2 + GTX 580M + SLi

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by ichime, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichime

ichime Notebook Elder

Reputations:
    As some of you may have heard, I have ordered and installed two nVidia GTX 580Ms in the M17x-R2. So far, it boots and posts into Windows. Everything works; battery mode doesn't freeze, closing lid puts computer to sleep, 3d clocks work. The two issues are fans being stuck at max speed (which was expected) and SLi not working, even though I have an SLi cable pulled from M17x-R1s.

I've tried most things such as modded infs and a SLi-patch that supposedly tricks nVidia into enabling SLi on non-SLi certified boards.

So far, nothing has worked and I'll need some help in getting this setup to work. First off, have any M17x-R2 owners with the 285M SLi installed any of the newer nVidia drivers with SLi enabled? And is there a way to check what's blocking SLi from being enabled registry wise or actively?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Thx to TheWiz, Anatolymik and Chukwu77 for their hard work! (oh, and be sure to donate if possible!)

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nV News Forums - View Single Post - My Dual 6800 Ultra SLI's

This seems like it might look promising.

Also, have you been able to confirm the the SLI cable and ports on both cards are functional?

I've encountered bad CFX cables and Greywolf got a 6970m with a bad port. Also, did you try Eurocom vbios'?

3. ichime

ichime Notebook Elder

Reputations:
    Well, I haven't confirmed if the SLi cables work, but SLi has been shown to work without the cable and just in case, I have 4 M17x SLi bridges. The connectors work and snap on correctly too.

Nothing seems to be working so far; even registry hacks. There must be something blocking the SLi signal I think.

4. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems like a hardware issue (either an incompatibly or hopefully a faulty part) as you shouldn't have to jump though so many hoops seeing as very thing else works fine and both cards support sli

5. Simplified

Simplified The Most Awesome

Reputations:
  6. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    This only works as long as there's enough PCI Bandwith... A single 580m will produce more than 2x 280m... so I doubt the cards would be able to work to their full extents. There wouldn't be enough bandwith.

7. ichime

ichime Notebook Elder

Reputations:
    So far I've tried editing the registry, the SLi Patch to get SLi to work on non-SLi certified motherboards, Fresh copy of Windows, nV Inspector, etc.

At this point, I don't think it's software related. So it's either Hardware or either the VBIOS needs to be edited to allow for SLi?

8. BruteLeo

BruteLeo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow, im looking to just get one 580m and you have two! good luck getting them to work, seems like it would be a screamer!

9. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How many different vbios' have you tried?

10. Villosa

Villosa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know there are SLI issues, but are there single config issues besides full fan speed?

Thanks bro! Nice work btw +rep

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.