M17x R2 920xm overheating

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by ndudsz, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Those temperatures are good, mine hit the low 90's as I did the ThrottleStop option to enhance SSD performance, so my 920XM idles at like low 50's. :|

2. ghostdunks

ghostdunks Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How does the heatsink actually go bad? Not sure if I have an issue with mine or not.

Just to compare, when you run prime95, what settings are you running at? I run blend, 8 threads. Also, what settings are you running throttlestop on(if you are). My TS settings are TDP of 90, and TDC of 75, and when I run prime95, my temps hit over 90c pretty quick and it starts throttling

3. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess the heatpipes could become damaged.

4. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The liquid inside the heat pipes turns into a vapor when in contact with the hot part.
    The vapor can slowly leak out thru the pores of the welded end of the heat pipe rendering the heatsink useless. But this is not the only cause, a tiny fracture can also be an issue since the internal pressure of the heat pipe will be equalized with external pressure.

5. ghostdunks

ghostdunks Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah, never knew that the heatsink could go bad like that... Anyone got a common benchmark with numbers I can run(on a R2 with 920xm with TS on or off) and compare against to see if my heatsink/heatpipe has crapped itself?

Also, is there any ways or tips to avoid breaking the heatsink? Like I said, I wasn't even aware that it could break like you described so I never even worried about it, but now, I'm worried that I haven't been treating it with the care it deserved.

6. novost

novost Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what liquid they put in the heatsinks? Not planning to try and fix one, just curious! Could it be something toxic? :eek:

7. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nothing toxic is used anymore. Nowadays they use ethanol or water and probably acetone.

8. ghostdunks

ghostdunks Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wasn't sure if my heatsink was bad but the temps do seem quite high compared to others on this thread, so have put an order in for a new heatsink/heatpipe!

9. ghostdunks

ghostdunks Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, got my new heatsink/heatpipe assembly, but noticed it was warped..ie when the heatsink was put into the right place, it wouldn't sit flush on the chip without me having to bend it into place...so thats going back to the vendor.

While I had it disassembled, I decided to check to see if the one I currently had was in fact, actually not working or damaged. Researching this, someone said to put the heatsink end into hot water and the fins on the other end should get hot immediately. Almost burnt my fingers off because I was expecting it to not get hot! Guess my heatsink/heatpipe assembly is working ok.

10. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good tip for testing heatsink pipes. Makes perfect sense, but I'd never heard it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.