M17x R2 8970M Crossfire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah that is what my Alienware m17x R2, I7 920xm, ATI HD 7079m 2GB, 16 GB Corsair ram runs at when taken to the extreme with 3D marks benchmark. Just remember to elevate the laptop on something like a Coolemaster U3/U2 thing. And if you want it to drop a few degrees in temp more then add some fans under the U3 cooler(I don't use the fans that came with the U3 cooler since they broke for me and the temps are just fine). I am using UE4 a lot to dev on the run on my Alienware m17x and it is not really getting hot at all. 75 is perfectly okay.

TR2N likes this.
  2. screemex

screemex Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i need vbios for my 8970. this vbios from 1 post is stocking my clocks at 300Mhz

3. Danyel254

Danyel254 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Physically what’s is the difference between 8970m from Dell an 8970m from Clevo?

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Green pcb vs blue pcb

5. Danyel254

Danyel254 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!!, and Physically what’s is the difference between 7970m from Dell an 7970m from Clevo?

6. screemex

screemex Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, can you upload your vbios??

7. only1wilber

only1wilber Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

After recently reading this thread I decided I would try and update my sons M17x R2 with the 8970m. I have never attempted anything this before but am well capable of following instructions! the computer currently uses a 4870m, has a i7 q720 cpu and 10 gig ram, using A10 Bios.

I purchased this card:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Rade...621058?hash=item3fa97f2282:g:fyYAAOSwDehbgdgV

The seller told me it came from a Clevo P170SM.

I followed the instruction on here and removed all previous GPU drivers. Shut the computer down, then added thermal pads and paste where necessary and placed the card into the primary MXM slot.

I turned the computer on and all I get is a black screen, if I leave the computer for a minute of two the fan kicks in but the screen stays black. I have tried plugging in a VGA cable to a separate screen but that is black also.

I do not get the flashing CAPS lock/ NUM lock like the card is bricked or anything so I presume the computer can recognise the card?

Does this sound like I need to do a blind vBIOS flash using Raidriar's from the first page of this thread? will this solve my issues or is the card just not compatible with this machine, have I purchased the in correct card?

Any help would me much appreciated to a noob like myself.

Cheers,
    Lee

8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes correct. blind flash a non enduro vbios will resolve this issue

only1wilber likes this.
  9. only1wilber

only1wilber Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I have done a little bit of searching and I came across a thread about blind flashing the vBIOS for 7970m. Would this be exactly the same process for flashing the 8970m but substituting the vBIOS with Raidriar from first page?

Can I brick the card if I do it incorrectly?

Thread I found:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...modded-vbios-for-clevo-p1xxhm-laptops.688656/

Should I use the "update 2" method with the autoexec format from that thread?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do it right first time.

10. only1wilber

only1wilber Newbie

Reputations:
    so I have followed the instructions in the above linked thread regarding vBios flashing, did a dry run using my working 4870m so I could see on screen that my computer was booting into dos command etc. Replaced the 4870m with the clevo 8970m, booted machine, blank screen as normal, waited a minute, typed in the command as instructed but nothing happens? what am I doing incorrectly? created the memory stick using HP Usb disk format tool, atiflash and moddified vbios on the memory stick as thread suggestd. Im lost.

Any help much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.