M17x R2 8970M Crossfire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Raidriar
    Are you planning on getting a 330W PSU and test the full potential of that notebook? Would be interested to know how far it can get with CPU at a good clockspeed and OCed GPU's

Arrrrbol likes this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I have 330W PSU, I don't have the CHIP mod done.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  3. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    for some reason i cant PM you directly.

few questions i wanna ask

1. is your 680M 2GB or 4GB variant?

2. understand your 680M is dell branded. does it work flawlessly with M17xR2 without any vBIOS mod? meaning does auto fan work without additional software? and video outputs (HDMI, DP) work?

3. how much are you willing to sell?

thanks

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Dell version is only 2GB, no 680M works in the M17x with native fan control, need Hwinfo to control fans. Clevo or Dell it doesn’t matter. SLI connector present unlike some MSI cards. Svl7 throttle free vBIOS flashed. Can run latest driver without problem, 8970M cannot (brightness broken)

5. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    how much are u selling? PM me. thanks

6. oOLegendaryOo

oOLegendaryOo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, the post is very up to date and I hope you can help me. Have a M17x R2 with defective GPU 7970m (LED RGB colorful strip, HDMI out has picture but green stripes in the bios, no picture in Windows). Now I have a Clevo 8970m 4gb and wanted to install it. What do I have to consider? Do I get a suitable vBios for it? Or another GPU?

Christian

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  7. Felipe A. Rorato

Felipe A. Rorato Newbie

Reputations:
    Raidriar
    Raidriar,

I'm new here on the forum, and I'm looking for information to help me upgrade my notebook.

I recently realized my dream of having an Alienware, due to the autos taxes here in Brazil, it was not possible to buy a new notebook, I bought a used M17x R2, it is in great condition and with all the original settings.

Full configuration: https://www.dell.com/support/home/br/en/brdhs1/product-support/servicetag/g2nlsm1/configuration

To improve performance, I bought a 480GB SSD, and noticed a very significant change in performance.

I have some doubts regarding the next upgrades:

- My processor is an Intel Core i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz TuRbo Mode, 6M Cache), what would be the latest model released by Intel compatible with my M17x R2?

- Currently my M17x R2 has 6 GB of RAM, I wonder if I can put 2 x 8 GB, and what do I need to get this? because on the site of Intel says that my processor support for a maximum of 8 GB. (https://ark.intel.com/en/products/49024/Intel-Core-i7-740QM-Processor-6M-cache-1_73-GHz)

- I want to upgrade my GPU that currently works with "Dual 1024 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 with ATI CrossFireX technology", I already read here in the forum that it is possible to do for the "Single Nvidia Geforce Gtx 680m", which is compatible with "CrossFire ATI HD 7970", and I was happy to find this upgrade tutorial for the "Single and CrossFire Clevo 8970M". I want to know if this Upgrade is reliable and easy, I would also like to know if some function of the notebook will be lost, eg HDMI? (I want to put the best compatible GPU, preferably CrossFire.)

Thank you all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raidriar,

Sou novo aqui no fórum, e estou a procura de informações que me ajudem a fazer um upgrade em meu notebook.

Recentemente realizei meu sonho de ter um Alienware, devido aos autos impostos aqui do Brasil, não foi possível comprar um notebook novo, comprei um M17x R2 usado, ele esta em ótimo estado e com todas as configurações originais.

Configuração completa: https://www.dell.com/support/home/br/pt/brdhs1/product-support/servicetag/g2nlsm1/configuration

Para melhorar o desempenho, eu comprei um SSD de 480 GB, e notei uma mudança muito significativa no desempenho.

Tenho algumas duvidas com relação aos próximos upgrades:

- Meu processador é um Intel Core i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Tu rbo Mode, 6M Cache), qual seria o ultimo modelo lançado pela Intel compatível com meu M17x R2?

-Atualmente meu M17x R2 esta com 6 GB de memoria ram, gostaria de saber se consigo colocar 2 x 8 GB, e o que preciso para conseguir isso? pois no site da Intel diz que meu processador da suporte para no máximo 8 GB. ( https://ark.intel.com/pt-br/products/49024/Intel-Core-i7-740QM-Processor-6M-cache-1_73-GHz )

- Quero fazer o upgrade da minha GPU que atualmente trabalha com "Dual 1024 MB ATI Mobility Rade on HD 5870 with ATI CrossFireX technology", já li aqui no fórum que é possível fazer para a " Single Nvidia Geforce Gtx 680m", e que é compativel com a "CrossFire ATI HD 7970", e fiquei feliz por encontrar esse tutorial de upgrade para a "Single e CrossFire Clevo 8970M". Quero saber se esse Upgrade é confiável e fácil, também gostaria de saber se alguma função do notebook será perdida, Ex: HDMI? (Quero colocar a melhor GPU compativel, de preferencia CrossFire.)

Obrigado a todos.

8. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    Maybe i can help to answer some of your questions.

1. Max CPU for M17xR2 is intel Core i7 940XM

2. Max intel spec for RAM is 8GB, but there are people who successfully used 8x2 = 16GB RAM for this laptop. I'm personally still on 8GB

3. Unless u have a 330W PSU mod for this laptop, going crossfire is going to be a very bad idea. The best GPU for this laptop now is AMD 8970M. I recently upgraded my 5870M Crossfire setup to a single 8970M and with some heavy overclocking, the GPU can be as fast or faster than even Nvidia GTX 880M in 3DMark firestrike GPU score. That said, the power consumption wil be very high to the point of shutting down the 240W PSU if you are too aggressive with both CPU and GPU overclock.

Hope that helps.

9. Felipe A. Rorato

Felipe A. Rorato Newbie

Reputations:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your help.

1 - Would the performance be remarkable with the exchange of I7 740QM to I7 940XM? compensates

2 - I will start by putting 1 x 8 GB, then post again on the performance improvement ...

3 - I intend to only place a Clevo 8970M GPU. Are many adaptations needed for the Clevo 8970M to work, or is it "Plug and Play"? HDMI is working?
    - What games are running with the 8970M?

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Hello, couple things to say here:

1. Best CPU is Intel 920XM or 940XM, which ever is cheaper. Both give major performance boost when using throttlestop program to overclock, make 740qm look very weak.

2. Official limitation is 2 x 4GB, unofficially you can use 2 x 8GB. I personally have 2 x 8GB work fine (shows up as 0mb in the BIOS), but full 16gb recognized in windows.

3. You cannot use 680M with 7970M, only one or the other. Early Dell 7970M will give HDMI video + audio, but no proper native fan control (must use HWinfo). Clevo 7970M v1.2 and Clevo 8970M will give HDMI video + native fan control (no HWinfo), but no HDMI sound. Dell 680M will provide HDMI sound + video, but no proper native fan control (must use HWinfo). 680M uses less power than 7970M, if interested, I have one card for sale. If you cannot make 330W PSU mod with 240W ID chip, crossfire will not work for you, not enough power to power up all the components.

Hope this helps