M17x R2 8970M Crossfire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruenoG7

TruenoG7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do not think the psu 330 Watts with an 8970m hd is necessary, with the 240-watt hd is more than enough, even with extreme OC in cpu and gpu.

2. Michael Nagy

Michael Nagy Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm currently running the 8970m at an over clock of 925/1300 and the 720QM cpu at a 5% overclock with the unlocked bios. Under load using unigine superposition I'm pulling 315 watts from the wall with the 240 watt supply.. I have a 920XM and another 8970m already on the way... pretty sure I'm going to need that extra power that the 330 watt supply will give me once they are in...

TR2N likes this.
  3. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any Windows 10 user having driver issues with the 8970M Clevo card? I am currently having issues. Only old WIndows 10 stock drivers do not give me a gray/black screen of death after loading to Desktop for a few minutes. Also with Win 10 stock drivers 3D Mark says I have no DX 11 card.... so it cannot run the bench marks.

I have tried the newest AMD Radeon drivers and also the older 17.3.3 drivers. Still no luck.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You're asking a lot from an 11 year old laptop and a 7 year old GPU in a non-factory approved set up. M17x R2 is a tired machine in 2020. It will perform its best on Windows 7.

5. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So you are saying moving back to WI dows 7 would make it work.... Naah... Then I will try to go Crossfire with the Mobility Radeon HD 5870 instead. I need Windows 10 and some stability on it. Otherwise it is not worthwhile. As long as the card supports DX 11 I am fine... Bugger.... I have tried every single amd driver and even a custom install where I did not install the HDMI drivers. For some that would work.The 8970m has a nice fan control but no good driver support. The 7970m would be a fine match if it is not because it simply ends up being too hot after an hour plus. And if I do some heavy shader code or special effect stuff on it then it will quickly reach those 80+ and shut down as well. Well time to look for a more modern machine soon...

Update:
    Did also test the card out in Windows 7. Only stock VGA drivers work. As soon as I installl the recommeded drivers from AMD it will go crazy just after typing in my password at the login screen. A screen with vetical stripes. Safe Mode and I see no problems. On Linux Mint 18.3 I can use it for simple tasks. After a minute in a game like Torchligth II I will see a black screen where the music is locked in a laggin loop. I simple cannot find any working drivers for this card... bugger...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.