M17x R2 8970M Crossfire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwny

pwny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay I just paid $65 for 4 tiny screws. If there IS a cheaper option don't even tell me. :(

Time to drink to forget.

2. pwny

pwny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Success!

The swap was actually far more painless than I anticipated, everything works flawlessly with the 17.3.31 driver.
    Rather pleased with the performance boost i'm getting over my 5870m's, i'm able to run Doom 2016 maxed at a stable >50fps. This is with my old 720QM and 4gb of basic ram. Temps peak out at 74 degrees when the card is running at 99% load, i'm using Raidriar's undervolt vbios. Fan control works perfectly.

I'm thrilled with how this turned out, the m17xr2 is still pretty awesome in 2019!
    Thanks to Raidriar and everyone who contributed to this thread.

Now the processor swap in this laptop, not so smooth. I have a 940XM I got from a reputable seller on ebay but when I swap it in the laptop doesn't want to boot or post. But I have a thread on that already, for now up and running great with my old 720QM and the Clevo 8970M. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Reciever and Nospheratu like this.
  3. Michael Nagy

Michael Nagy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I've be sifting through the forums over the last couple of months to try and make an informed decision as to what graphics card to put into my m17x r2 since my 5870s died. I think I have settled on a 8970m/m290x. At the moment however, I was just wondering if it had to be a clevo card? Will either the msi or dell cards work? There are plenty around but the clevo ones seem to be a lot more expensive and the alienware ones are extremely plentiful.

Also, sorry to go a bit off topic but has anyone tried to use a m390x in the m17x r2, does it work? That's something that was mentioned in passing at some point on another thread but I haven't seen any mention of it actually done. Just want to get the best gpu I can in here without loosing the onboard sound. And honestly I'm not concerned about the CPU bottleneck at all.

4. Michael Nagy

Michael Nagy Newbie

Reputations:
    Never mind fellas, just a bit more reading trough the forums and I think I have my answers. I've gathered that the 8970m is the best for these machines. Clevo cards offer native fan control but the others will still work with manual fan control. Will the dell cards still crossfire? Only going 1 to start with but may get another in the future. Will bios have to match on the pair?

5. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've got a theoretical (ly insane) question:
    Would M17X R2 support two Quadro 4000M cards? I recently purchased an used M17X R2, and while waiting for it to arrive via mail I've been doing some research about it's it's possibilities. I am assembling a laptop for my cousin, he mostly plays stuff like Fortnite, so I was considering passing my M15X (specs shown in my tag), and make myself the M17X as my main. I've got two working Quadros. Could it in any scenario support two of those beasts?

6. pwny

pwny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, alright guys this kinda all fell apart for me.

I have the 8970M working well relatively well in the computer, I was able to play a variety of games with excellent performance and no strange issues (such as Doom). However I had pretty bad issues whenever I tried to play Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands 2/The Pre Sequel and a couple other. I'd get frequent crashes in the game, sometimes every few minutes. I would get a "display driver has stopped responding and recovered" message on my desktop, but the game would freeze solid and i'd have to kill it from the task manager.

In the course of trouble shooting these problems I let the device crash dozens of times, and after that I started to have other issues. I'd get the same "stopped responding and recovered" message just using the desktop for the internet, along with screen flickering and some strange artifacts.

I tried reinstalling drivers several times, with no improvement but this week things got much worse.

The laptop will POST and will get to the boot screen, but after that the screen stays black.
    I'm able to get it to boot and get to the desktop in safe mode, or if I uninstall all video drivers with the AMD cleanup utility.

I've been trying to reflash the vbios.
    I've been using the undervolt vbios that Raidriar provided this whole time. Flashing the videocard with the vbios I found here (i'm using the one for the Clevo P570WM) results in not getting any display output whatsoever after power up.
    Returning to the undervolt vbios will allow successful startup as long as no drivers are installed.

So, three things really.

1. Does anyone have another source for the proper, unmodded vbios for the card? I've been looking and having trouble finding it
    2. WHHHHHYYYYYY? Did allowing the driver to crash so many times actually cause hardware damage? If so likely the undervolt vbios contributed to the instability but is it actually possible to damage the hardware by crashing the software a ton of time?
    3. Any particularly keen ideas on how I could possibly recover use of this card?

I still have my 5870m's, i'm going to have to reflash them and reinstall them in the meantime. Not thrilled about that.

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like a dying GPU, given the artifacts.
    Reflowing could give you up to a couple more months of life, but its a crap shot..

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Original vBIOS mine is based off (BR44618.001):
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/149712/clevo-hd8970m-4096-130603

No other vBIOS will work in M17x R2

TruenoG7 and Michael Nagy like this.
  9. Michael Nagy

Michael Nagy Newbie

Reputations:
    Mate you are my hero.. I thought I had a dud card.. I bought back in july.. just used my MXM to pcie adaptor in my pc to flash your vbios onto my card and BaM! It works! I have never been so excited about old hardware lol! Didn't know only one clevo vbios works in these beasts.. haha and only days ago I ordered another 8970m to give it another go, as well as a 920xm.. Well I guess I'll have crossfire a little sooner than expected lol.. better get onto that 330w psu quick smart..

10. Michael Nagy

Michael Nagy Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahh.. ouch.. Just checked power usage with my current setup from the wall, 720QM and single 8970M.. Mostly sitting on 280w, touching on 300w every so often just running unigine heaven on extreme preset.. That's even with your undervolted vbios.. only sits on a nice 70 degrees though, so that's nice haha. really need that 330W supply..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.