M17x R2 8970M Crossfire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    just want some opinions from you guys, especially those who are running M17xR2 using crossfire 2x8970M 4GB clevo gpu.

I am now running M17xR2 with i7 940XM (3.5GHz 75W TDP) paired with a single clevo amd 8970M 4GB (925MHz/1350MHz @ 0.975V). I noticed if i overclock the GPU to 1000MHz/1400MHz @ 1.025V, my original 240W PSU (both flextronics and delta) would trip and shut down in certain games/condition. So i got a power meter and confirmed that running at the system at those settings would occasionally draw up to 240W before the PSU shut down.

so I decided to mod an adapter for M17xR2 using the excellent guide posted by @Nospheratu and i'm going to use it on 330W alienware PSU. Since i now have the additional power headroom, i was thinking, is it worth to go for crossfire 8970M 4GB? Having two 8970M crossfire would theoretically yield roughly the performance of single GTX1060 that's assuming if crossfire works and is supported.

so what do you guys and current owners think? is this worth pursuing or am i better off just saving the money for something else?

TruenoG7 likes this.
  2. TruenoG7

TruenoG7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I am currently new to this of the dual HD8970m, but I can tell you the performance of dual HD8970m is bestial, besides that in certain games that do not demand many requirements work in a cooler way than dual individual, I am currently using a 240watt psu what I have not experienced the total power for fear of damaging my cards, in a few days I will make a dual 240watt psu to prove everything to its fullest, then I'll tell you if it's worth it or not.

You could tell me how the temperatures go with those Over clocks.

3. Nospheratu

Nospheratu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I think the money would be better invested elsewhere. We're already stuck on the 17.3.3 drivers so that we're able to adjust brightness. AMD support isn't that great for our 8970M/7970M mod and even less so for Crossfire. If you intend to use the machine with Windows 7 and older games, that is March 2017 and further back, I would would say it's sort of justifiable. Generally, newer games that run fine on Crossfire usually can run fine one one of our cards.

That said, leaving the secondary slot empty does trigger my OCD and makes me think of the machine as incomplete o_O

As you mentioned though, you rather save the money for something else or if you're itching to spend some of it, get some dbrand palmrest skins for the 17 R4, and maybe some heatsink's for your NVMe drive/s :)

alexnvidia and TruenoG7 like this.
  4. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    temperature is absolutely fine even with 1000MHz overclock @ 1.025V. Max temp i get playing games for an hour or two is just under 80C. room temperature is about 22-23C. the only problem i faced is power usage exceeding 240W once in a while if the CPU is overclocked and TDP set too high.

TruenoG7 likes this.
  5. TruenoG7

TruenoG7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I already have installed the dual psu 240watts with my dual hd8970m, after flashing the vbios of the smart cards to the bios that is in the beginning of the topic, I could have better stability and better temperatures, I feel completely satisfied with the performance, the only thing what bothers me is not being able to update the drivers, they generate blue screen problems, and others do not show image, then everything else perfect.

I also made a modification so that the gpu breathe better

when using it for a while I realized that the trigger of the cf of the power supply, is warmed up enough by what you put a fan. now everything perfect: D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1POYWqNCeNkAx2WucJ3N9iPUK6vRV56XN

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    alexnvidia and Reciever like this.
  6. pwny

pwny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to install an 8970M into my m17xR2, currently I have Crossfire 5870M's.

If I'm reading this correctly the heat sink I have will work but I'll need a different X-bracket and screws. Does anyone have a convenient link to where I can acquire the correct one, and possibly the right thermal pads and screws as well?

Thanks.

7. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Look for Clevo 8970Ms on eBay.

8. pwny

pwny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can find the actual GPU but they don't seem to come with the bracket usually.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  9. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    pwny likes this.
  10. pwny

pwny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, I'm getting pretty close to what I need to be up and running here. I bought a clevo 8970m from Ebay, and the seller flashed it with the bios from the original post. I also have the brackets on order.

My only hold up now is the screws. I looked into ordering them from metric screws with the link provided but since I'm in Canada the shipping was calculated to be 40 freaking dollars ($53 in Canadian pesos). I called them and sent them an email to see I'd I can get a cheaper shipping option but they're insistent on only shipping FedEx.

Is there another source for the screws I need? Or can I somehow reuse the screws from my 5870's?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.