M17x R2 7970m CrossfireX Ultimate Installation and Tweaking Guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by sangemaru, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Plus,

Very happy today gentleman!!
    I purchased pci express card to have USB3 support on my m17xR2.. THe USB2 ports are too slow...

What's old again is now new again :)
    I love the 1900x1200 RGB LED and the 7970m is doing very very well. All I want maybe is another 7970m in crossfire maybe Xmas time and the m17xR2 will live forever..

:)

2. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just what I am thinking...
    Do I go with a 7970m in crossfire with poor driver support and issues
    or
    upgrade?

3. Nospheratu

Nospheratu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would say upgrade, in my experience the driver support from AMD for GCN 1.0 let alone CrossFire is getting frustrating now. I love tinkering and resolving issues but I'm getting to the point where I'm hitting brick walls since the drivers aren't working for me.

My current issues are...
    1. Instant hard reset / reboot with DirectX12 multi GPU when trying to use any driver newer than 16.8.3. (Disabled Crossfire and secondary card in device manager allows use DirectX12 apps/games with a single card). This is ironic since DX12 mGPU is the one thing that could keep us going, one 7970M runs amazingly well in DX12 for such an old card. I think this is a Windows 10 issue though as older drivers that used to work don't for some reason now.
    2. Random "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" Bluescreen even when idle on the Windows desktop. The last driver that works is 17.3.3. My gut feeling is that it's related to power management, more specifically, Wattman.
    3. Brightness Control on my machine is disabled with drivers 17.4.1, 17.6.1 and 17.6.2. The KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 registry fix does not work with these drivers.

The RSOD issues you quoted me on were resolved (after a year of posting of AMD's support forums) so I am able to run CrossFire on Windows 10 on DirectX11 now. That said, I can't really place all the blame on AMD. Firstly we're running unsupported cards on this machine and add the fact that Windows 10 has so many issues on its own makes it difficult to troubleshoot. I've had to block the HardwareID's for Windows driver updates for these cards in group policy editor as Windows Update keeps trying to push driver 17.1.1 which results in BSOD's mentioned in point 2 above. Windows 7 might be better but I wanted DX12 mGPU since our CPU's need all the help it can get at this point.

After a slideshow in ROTTR (The Lost City) I've ordered a 17 R4 from the Dell Outlet (They've got some good discount codes valid until the 10th of July 2017). I am aware of all the issues surrounding the machine (there's a lot of issues :p, mostly thermal related) and I don't like the fact that it's a BGA soldered laptop but from my upgrade experience with my M17X R2 I've come to realise unsupported GPU upgrades come with their own issues. I've considered going with another brand but I need the Dell warranty especially since it's international.

TR2N likes this.
  4. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nospheratu,

Thanks for replying. :)
    Totally agree with you.

I am suprised though. My7970m and 840QM can run new games quite well.

So in reality, a laptop from 2010 with updated 2012 gpu (7970m)has done superbly well all things considered.

The fact i am getting the pci express card for usb3 support, is long overdue as i use the laptop for transferring files and usb2 is just painful.

Aside from this, very very happy with this laptop and will continue to game with it. The screen is one quality that helps with gaming and desktop duality. If there was a new laptop with this resolution i would be sold.

Long live the m17xR2 owners :)

PS - i can play rottr very well on my7970m . Great game. :) Running Win 7 Pro

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Nospheratu likes this.
  5. Nospheratu

Nospheratu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, don't get me wrong the 7970M is still impressive, especially considering it's a 5 year old card. I am able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided smoothly in DX12 with a single card with a mix of medium to low settings(mostly medium). On DX11 with Crossfire I can push this to medium to high settings (mostly high). "Smoothly" refers to around 35-60fps depending on the map I'm playing. Its still an awesome laptop with the 7970M upgrade. I also have a soft spot for it as it's very unique in its design and I still think its the best machine that came out of the Dell/Alienware acquisition.

Just an additional bit of info for those of you outside the US and thinking about purchasing from Dell USA. In short, don't do it since the verification processes they have in place will have you pulling your hair out. You cannot use an international credit card on their site as their system eventually blocks it and your order will be cancelled with no notification. Their verification process also has a shipping address ban list of companies that provide freight forwarding services which could also get your order cancelled.

Rather order from Dell USA through HIDevolution who provide an assisted purchase service for international buyers.

TR2N likes this.
  6. flingin

flingin M17x R2 Mafia

Reputations:
    I have sold my R2 almost a year ago, and build a desktop. R2 was never moved around and I feel if I would take it for a trip I could easily brake something. It was free of any kind off issues, games worked in CF when a game had CF support. No BSODs at all. It was 1 year ago and I took £800 for it. Desktop cost was £800 for 1080ti amp extreme alone. £700 for PG348Q 34 ULTRA WIDE monitor, 5820k @4.6Ghz and,x99 strix amd 32gb of ram, phantex enthoo evolv atx TG for the case. In total around £2500 was blown away. As for laptops I will only buy one that has a decent cpu and put in ssd in, something cheap for the trips and holidays away. Sad to let the R2 go but change was med for better so......that's it. Shame that the mxm format was not standarized properly and stayed like this. I feel mxm cards are made of sub par silicon and parts because they break out of nothing where desktop gpu will live forever

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

TR2N likes this.
  7. 5HT

5HT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello,

I finally got my hands on another clevo v1.1 , right now i have , 2 dell cards working individually, 3 clevo v 1.1 card of which one is not working,
    I was able to get 2 clevo 1.1 cards in crossfire setup in win 10 to work, i will try with dell cards too, none of them worked in crossfire in windows 7 maybe i need a fresh windows 7 install, in windows 10 i am using amd 15.7.1 catalyst version but i get similar RSOD as you get on full screen for valley benchmark, havent tried any other games, tried resident evil 6 benchmark which works in full screen but takes directx 9, brightness control doesnt work, also i had got stuck thread error for driver when i first plugged in second card for crossfire in windows 10 , it had version 17.6.1 drivers already installed for previous setup of 1 single card , so i ddued and did a clean install of 15.7.1 and crossfire worked but with above issues, will update once i check if my dell cards in crossfire, i assume if they can work in win 10 they should surely work in win 7 if i do a fresh install of win 7, please let me know how u fixed RSOD's and other issues in win 10

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

8. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if anybody ever experienced the issue with crossfire causing windows to reboot as soon as it reaches the login screen. EVERY single driver after 15.11.1 has caused this for me, and it sucks I can't use newer drivers with 8970M crossfire.

9. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    did you also try this two?
    "whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.7.2-july27"
    and
    "non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.9.2-sep21"

I left them on my ext. hdd because was last working for me on CF of 7970Ms on Win7x64

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did not work for me :(