[M17x R1] GTX 680M is a success!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, May 2, 2018.

1. FastMover

FastMover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, this thing is ancient. I would love to work on one of these. This thing predates first generation i7's that were put in M15xR1's. Now that is a little beast. Ive seen 980M's in those little guys.

2. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Which Nvidia drivers are you using currently?

I've a 680M on a M17xR3 running Windows 10 and none of the new drivers work properly for me. Currently using 397.64.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

5. nadcicle

nadcicle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Reading this post made me revisit my old laptops.

My wife has a m17x R2 that had xfire 5870's that both died 1 after the other. I got her an nvidia 765m and that sucked as I had to disable HD audio in the bios and she could only listen to sound with usb headphones. Also, she decided it was ok to do a windows update that basically stopped using the modded graphics drivers.

Sooo, I grabbed my m18x r2 with a 660m in it and proceeded to swap it in her laptop and immediately turned HD audio back on booted in safe mode and ran DDU and came back in and installed the latest modded gpu drivers. HD audio and graphics driver installed fine and failed on something or the other, but I was ok with that! The card is working great, but the fan doesn't spin up on its own. It requires using HWinfo to get it going right. Still on the search for something that'll make it more automated.

After I was done with that, putting the 765m in the m18x r2 was a breeze. I don't even need to control the fans on this one.

Out of all that the only bad thing was swapping the cross brackets. The bracket I put on the 660m from the 765m appears to not let the heatsink make as tight of a clamp down on the gpu die as i'd like and I think i am going to be looking for a copper shim.