[M17x R1] GTX 680M is a success!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, May 2, 2018.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    They always said "fortune favors the bold". Many people have said the M17x R1 cannot go beyond a GTX 285M or Mobility 5870M Crossfire. Today I am here to prove these people are WRONG! I sourced a Dell GTX 680M from my good friend @maxslo and it arrived today. No BIOS mods or vBIOS mods were necessary, literally plug and play. I present to you the most powerful M17x R1 in existence! Breathing life into a machine that was once equipped with 285M SLI and making it a relevant rig again! Now I may need some @Prema magic on the vBIOS to eliminate any random throttling but still a massive improvement! Unfortunately native fan control is not functioning and it cannot be countered with HWinfo. My guess is something drastic changed in the vBIOS structure of later AMD cards (6970M and onwards) that made them incompatible with this old BIOS structure. Every nVidia card I have ever tried has POSTed, but the 780M/880M/980M all give varying degrees of artifact.

@Mr. Fox Still better than a BGA machine lol
    @katalin_2003 I've seen you were once involved with the M17x R1 and 480M/580M not working. The 680M works ;)

M17x R1-680M.png

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    RMSMajestic, ssj92, triturbo and 5 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    AMEN to that!!!!

If I have to put up with BGA feces, it will be something with a value south of $500 that I can toss into a dumpster when it craps out.

RMSMajestic and Arrrrbol like this.
  3. A-Gits

A-Gits Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice one!
    Gosh, i wish the current lineup wasnt bga...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very nice work. :) Been enjoying the performance boost the 680M gives on my R2, so its going to be a huge upgrade for the R1. I'd be interested in hearing from you after testing a few games/benchmarks to see how it performs compared to my R2 as we both have the same 2GB 680M.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Enjoy my pitiful 3dmark11 score, I couldn't get the 680M up to full speed since not even HWinfo can control the fans, I had to drop clocks and undervolt like crazy.
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12764755

Arrrrbol and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It has been too many years ago now for me to remember... Does Almico SpeedFan work with the M17xR1 or R2?

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    unfortunately doesn't work for the R1. I may have to cut the PWM signal cable to the GPU fan to force full speed all the time which would be annoying...maybe I can link it into the CPU PWM cable but who knows

Arrrrbol likes this.
  8. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a shame. HWInfo fan control works fine on the R2.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes you can thank Dell for using an nVidia chipset called the MCP79 that is full of wonderful quirks....glad they went Intel from the R2 onwards

Arrrrbol and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It worked on most models of Alienware systems from the M17xR2 forward. And, that is unusual, because there is no such functionality using HWiNFO64 on most laptops or desktops. This HWiNFO64 feature was absent on all Clevos I have owned as well as my desktop.

Arrrrbol likes this.