M17x-R1, Fans always running at high speed

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by ElSerch, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElSerch

ElSerch Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just note that the fans are running at very high speed most of the time. Probably this can be ok, if I am playing video games. but is not. I am just surfing the web or watching small video clips. Any idea?

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you performed any kind of maintenance on your machine since you have had it? - I'd first of all advise checking the heatsinks/fans for dust/debris build up and clean them out where required. If you haven't cleaned them EVER, you will probably notice that the temps/fans will drop back down after a good clean up.

3. ElSerch

Reputations:
    Yes Steviejones, I normally clean the laptop once a month, using brush and compressed air, and make sure that the fans are blocked with a pin or something to avoid the spinning with the shots of the compress air. I ran a utility program to check the temperatures and look normally. 41-43 c.

4. ElSerch

Reputations:
    I just install HWMonitor program and the core temperatures start on 38 C. then go to 44 C, those are ok?

5. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Those temps look like good idle temps to me. Temps under load should be no more (in my opinion) than 80c on either cpu or gpu. Of course, a lot depends on ambient temperatures too as it could be hot where you live/have your machine.

6. mikecacho

mikecacho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Canned air and a brush will not get the clumped up dust, best option would be pop out the fans and clean them. Owning an (R1) its a pain to get at the GPU fans, compared to the R3 and R4, but it is a must if you do game often.

7. ElSerch

Reputations:
    Well, I will go for the pain to get at the fans! I know I will spend all afternon to get there. For temperature environment, are around 18c these days. clean area with a lot space around.

8. ElSerch

Reputations:
    Last night I decided to disassembly the R1 to clean out. All the fins on the cooling areas was with dust. Now I will see what happen after I clean out. At the same time with the R1 tear apart I decide to swap the DVD drive to the R3. Now the R3 have BR. It not was easy but I did it.

[​IMG]
    At the middle of the disassembly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    running again

9. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    And what about the fan issue? Did it go away?

10. ElSerch

Reputations:
    Thank you for ask. So far the high speed on the fans are gone away! I clean all the fins, they was almost plug with dust.
    The only thing left, well not left because it's not previously. It's a little grinding noise on one of the fans. It's just little.
    I was afraid to open the computer, but was real easy. Take me no more than 3 hours.
    Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.