M17x R1- 8970M PASSES POST!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Raidriar, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd share this news. Probably not many M17x R1 users left in this world. I just recieved a parts machine that has a destroyed keboard socket and power jack, so I will be buying a new board...but for ****s and giggles, I pulled out the GTX 280M SLI and replaced with a single 6990M...failed to post. For more ****s and giggles, I put a spare Clevo 8970M in there and....it POSTED!!! Incredible in my opinion, I will certainly be hunting for a new board ASAP so I can make another old legendary Alienware great again! If anybody has a spare M17x R1 board (before I go hunting on ebay..) please let me know! Just thought I'd share the good news, nobody ever bothered to try many other cards!

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is pretty funny. I'd be interested to see some benchmarks when you get it up and running, i'm curious as to how the old QX9300 holds up today. Nice work. :)

triturbo likes this.
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm half tempted to stuff my spare 980M in there and see if it posts with the CCFL WUXGA LCD instead of the RGBLED WUXGA panel......

M18x-oldie and Arrrrbol like this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    It's pretty cool and all but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Why shouldn't it post with a HD 8970M? Idon't really see any reasons as to why it shouldn't post. If anything I find it odd that it wouldn't post with the HD6990M.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    People have done crazy things in the past with modifying the BIOS MXM structure, several cards not posting, another user posted the 7970M would not post either in the m17x r1: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m17x-r1-7970m-confirmed-not-working.792488/
    i'm solidstate's failure: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1558-6970m-and-original-m17x-aka-r1/

I think the 8970M I put in here has no enduro enabled in the vBIOS to interfere with the system, so it will not cause a no-POST condition (7970M /8970M can come with enduro vBIOS occasionally...i stripped it from mine)

Unfortunately my battery that I have is kaput, dies in 10 seconds, not enough to really test. Keyboard socket damaged as well prevents any meaningful testing. But the fact the big alien head showed up for a split second and showed failed battery info without any garbled colors is a good indicator it should work.....curious what the 8970M will do with the QX9300....stay tuned while I find replacement parts, notebook was in rough condition but I bought it for the battery (which is dead, but charging now....tested with my failed m17x r2 battery) and for the qx9300 CPU, heatsinks, fans, etc...imagine 8970M crossfire in here lol.

accepting parts donations if anybody has the following laying around:
    m17x r1 mobo
    m17x r1 top chassis between KB and lower base
    lower base...very dinged up mine is...

worst case scenario i dump another 150$ in parts to the 150$ i spent for the system, sell off some other components and maybe even get a gtx 880m or another 8970M. I'm just psyched this POSTed, nobody else has had any success past the 5870M

M18x-oldie and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Thats quite awesome! I would save that vBIOS so other people can enjoy the HD 8970M in their older systems.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox when A 9 year old computer has a longer upgrade path than most modern MXM equipped machines.....how silly. Why can't we have the good old days back?

User32, M18x-oldie, Jzyftw and 2 others like this.
  8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Doesn't it break your heart? I mean The old Alienware machines were pretty solid(except for few models, look at AW18) and now look what happened to the notebooks.

M18x-oldie, Jzyftw and Arrrrbol like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There is absolutely no reason we cannot. The reason we do not is because the companies that manufacture notebooks use castrated designs that cater to their greed and they simply do not give a rat's ass about the well being of their products or the people that buy them. NVIDIA facilitated it by dropping support for MXM standards. The good days are behind us now. We are left with almost nothing worth spending money on.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm borderline going to do a video montage package with all my older Alienwares and send to to Frank Azor to remind him where he ****ed up...

Mr. Fox, M18x-oldie, triturbo and 2 others like this.