1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M17x Problem/Technical Question thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by BatBoy, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatBoy

BatBoy NBR Community Moderator

Reputations:
    Wanted to create a thread for posting technical issues / problems with the M17x. Given we have a few Alienware people stalking the forum, a central thread for new/odd issues may help them in responding. In addition, you can always count on our community here to assist as well.

If you own an M17x and encounter an issue, feel free to post here for assistance. Be sure to include your full specs and a detailed description of the issue.

Note concerning ATI based 17x's -

Be sure to review this thread before posting:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...5870-gpus-5870-vbios-discussion-non-beta.html

If you are running into an issue with the current Dell ATI driver, please post here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/503710-dell-ati-4870-5870-driver-discussion.html

or in the Dell specifc driver thread (currently 8.763, http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...5870-gpus-5870-vbios-discussion-non-beta.html

If you are running into an issue with the current AMD driver (non-Dell driver), post here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/503428-get-your-catalyst-10-7-non-whql-here.html

For general Crossfire posts which do not fall into the above two threads, post here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...crossfire-m17x-general-discussion-thread.html

NOTE: There is currently an issue with SSD drives. This is seen on other laptops and not just impacting AW/Dell. Please see this thread for additional information:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...ssd-speed-issue-investigation-discussion.html

-BB

2. kenichols29

kenichols29 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well not much of an issue but a random question. I plan to upgrade to either a 920xm or dual 5870s in the next year some time and i also plan to possibly buy another ac adapter within a month possibly, can I use a 250w adapter even if I currently dont have an extreme procesor or dual gpus?

3. danp224

danp224 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I currently am doing just that very thing, without issue.

4. Tchamber

Tchamber Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have Best Buy's M17X-2308MBK. C2Q Q9000, 4GB, GTX260.
    Having a couple of issues. Number one is that during audio playback I get a weird stuttering sound at least once per track. This happens when computer is plugged in as well as unplugged, and CPU is cranked up to 65% minimum power.
    Second issue is that my media buttons don't always light up and when they aren't lit, they don't function. Any ideas? Still have a couple days for returning it, let me know what you think.
    Tchamber

5. reb221

reb221 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, new guy here.

I am having a strange issue with my m17x performance-wise (yes sli is enabled and it is plugged in); for a dual 260m laptop performance has been ok for the most part (crysis runs at 30 fps maxed out at full resolution, oblivion and fallout 3 run maxed at a minimum of 50 fps), but BIOSHOCK seems to be performing rather poorly.

The game runs fine in smaller levels, but for some odd reason my rig seems to struggle maintaining 25 fps in levels such as Point Prometheus or one of the bigger levels:confused: !

I've reinstalled the drivers (version 197.16, the latest june one was rather buggy) and the game, sli is enabled, Bioshock is updated and the 3d settings in the nvidia control panel are at defaults.

Interesting Note: changing the default 3d settings in nvidia control panel to high performance with all optimizations turned on seems to make no difference. Even tuning down the graphics to the lowest settings in 640x480 resolution yields no better results!

So far Bioshock seems to be the only issue I have with the laptop, but I've seem benchmarks in other forums by people who have the same specs I do and they seem to get significantly better scores fps wise in games like Crysis, fallout 3, etc.

My specs are

video card(s): 9400 chipset with 260m sli
    cpu: P8600 @ 2.6 Ghrtz Oced
    bios version: originally A00 but updated to A03
    mobo chipset: nvidia nforce 730i
    RAM: 4 GB clocked @ 1333 mhrtz

6. pdogg93

pdogg93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tchamber. Return your alienware asap. You have an m17x r1 which has the nvidia chipset. The motherboard is a piece of dung and causes audio stutter. I would return it and order an m17x r2 (with the icore chip) online from Dell. You should be able to get a good deal. Please for your sake do not keep the computer

7. azelexx

azelexx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Been owning my M17x for almost a year. Recently I started to hibernate instead of shut down as it seems like a faster way to boot and get back into whatever I was working on.

However every now and then the laptop won't display anything when I turn it on. I see the LCD lighting up, but nevertheless the Alienhead boot screen just never pops up and the laptop will be running in a blank screen.....

My bios is A03 and using 257.21 nvidia drivers. Anyone else sharing the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

8. BatBoy

BatBoy NBR Community Moderator

Reputations:
    Just to clarify, the motherboard was not the cause of the audio stutter, it was caused by the NVIDIA Display Driver remaining in an extended DPC state... This was highly discussed in the DPC thread and has been resolved - NVIDIA has updated their driver code to correct this issue.

Believe it or not, there are still many satisfied R1 owners.

@reb:
    I seem to recall BIOSHOCK having issues with SLI - not sure, might want to check google. Depending on the NV driver you are using, the SLI profile for BIOSHOCK may need to be updated.

9. Tchamber

Tchamber Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So if it has been dealt with, how come I still have the problem, even with the latest nvidia drivers?

10. PerfectDuke

PerfectDuke Newbie

Reputations:
    Every time I start up my laptop I get this error message. It is titled as "Thermal Controller X" and the only option for me is to hit "OK." I believe it has something to do with the "Command Center" or the "Alienware AlienFX: Alienware.ath" but I'm not sure. Can anyone make sense of this or how to get rid of it?

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileProcessorClass.ExecuteVenting(Profile profile)
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ProfileManagerClass.Init()
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.initProfileManager()
    at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.processWindowsLoaded()
    at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
    at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
    at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
    at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
    at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

11. kskanne

kskanne Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't want to detract from the major problems discussed here but has any one tried, or do you know if a 1TB sata internal HDD will fit in the M17x?
    the !TB is 12.7mm thick the 500 sata(as well as the 750TB) is 10.16mm I just changed my configuration from RAID 0 TO AHCI, and am much happier and have had to replace both hard seagate hard drives. But I would love to put 2 TB of storage in the unit I just don't know if it will fit.
    KSKanne

12. TotalHarmonicControl

TotalHarmonicControl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey there guys,

I'm actually posting this on behalf of a friend of mine.

We both own M17x-R2's with identical specs. i7-720qm, crossfire 4870, 1tb raid0 (2 x 500 7200rpm) 4 gb of 1333 ram, etc etc. Identical specs (his is nebula red though, mines silver)

When I first got mine, i was quite disappointed with the performance, the framerates i got did not reflect what I should have been getting. after tinkering here and there I got mine to function perfectly (using the generic 10.5 mobile cats from ATI's website) Now any game I throw at it works great.

My friends though, is hopeless. Games like colin mcrae dirt2 (where i get 160fps max 90fps min in native (1920x1200) res) run like they are severely struggling. He is hard pressed to get even 30 fps.

Now I went through on his and did all of the same things (i thought) that I did on mine, and his is still terrible performance.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

He is getting quite frustrated, since he's spent 3.5k on this laptop and its no better than a thousand dollar craptop.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm reasonably adept at troubleshooting problems normally, but I've not found anything specific to the r2 in this config, on google.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

13. Desertf0x9

Desertf0x9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anybodys wifi turn off randomly and then back on? Not a major problem, but extremely annoying.

14. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    like for half a second and then back on ?

15. Desertf0x9

Desertf0x9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yep, it kicks me out of my games soo annoying

16. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    It started happening to me after i put the laptop in my backpack and it decided to turn on while it was inside. When i pulled it out it was hot as hell. Everything worked after that but this thing started happening. I think i will contact Dell to replace the card seeing as i am not the only one having this issue. Up until now i wasn't sure it's an issue at all.

17. ALW17

ALW17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just got an Alienware m17x R2 edition laptop. I am pretty happy with the laptop, but I have some questions.

When I play YouTube videos, the video flickers, especially when there is a lot of movement and action. I was starting to think that maybe it was the video card, but when I disabled hardware acceleration, I was able to play them without any flickering. What I want to know is if there is another way to eliminate the flickering without having to disable hardware acceleration, since it does seem to reduce the quality and clarity of YouTube videos.

I am also having some problems when I am browsing. I may be browsing just fine for a while, but then I suddenly can't connect to any web sites anymore, even though I am still connected to my network with a strong 4 bar signal. It just seems to happen randomly, but usually it happens when I have more tabs open at once. I somtimes open a new window (not tab), and I am able to connect. Other times I have to exit the browser, restart it and I can connect once again with no problems. Again, I never actually get disconnected when this happens, so I don't know why this happens. I try to solve the issue by manually disconnecting from the network and then connecting again, but it usually doesn't fix it. I know there is nothing wrong with the network because my other laptop never seems to have this type of issue. Do you think maybe the wireless card is going bad or is it something to do with IE? I have the DW1520 Wireless-N Half-Mini Card. I updated the drivers for it, but it didn't seem to improve anything.

I'd appreciate any help.

18. reb221

Reputations:
    Disabling sli seemed to work at first, I disabled hybrid and integrated graphics in BIOS and the nvidia control panel ungreyed the option to disable sli. So there's no question sli was the issue because the game ran smooth without sli, but now when I do the same thing (disable hybrid/integrated and disable sli in NCP), performance was just as bad again :confused:??? I also tried disabling PCIGen-2 (?) in bios but to no avail:( .

EDIT: Ok new problems have arisen, after updating to the new beta drivers and being unable to disable sli I reverted to the earlier 197.16 drivers and now whenever I enable hybrid graphics (with the integrated graphics), my m17 wont boot up to the login screen and then the screen will go black and I'm unable to logon (but the cursor shows up!); I reinstalled the drivers by uninstalling the hybrid graphics mode first and then booting up with the integrated graphic and uninstalling those but to no avail :(.

19. reb221

Reputations:
    Also quick question, two 260m's show up in device manager, if I disable one of them (through control panel to temporarily disable sli) would that harm my card(s) at all?

20. Kissarmy

Kissarmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Folks,
    Tried to watch a BluRay movie for the first time in a couple of months. Windows Explorer sat there with the green ribbon of death for about 5 minutes, the drive - Optiarc BD5600 then spat the disk out and a box popped up saying to insert a disk. Tried putting an audio cd in, same long wait but explorer eventually found the tracks.

My laptop has both 32bit and 64bit Windows 7 installed - need 32bit for one bit of hardware for work - rebooted into 32bit which is almost a clean install and had the same problem.

I'm thinking the laser head is out of alignment and while the red laser for the audio cd can just about manage to read the disc the blue laser with its smaller beam focus is completely missing the tracks.

Is it time to put complete care to use and call Dell?

Cheers