1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M17x DPC Latency

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Aedaric, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heah

Heah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes (last time), but now i've disabled powermizer, so whether the wireless is turned on or not doesnt account for stuttering

2. scook9

scook9 NBR Benching Addict

Reputations:
    the best way to see if it is linked to DPC would be to monitor the GPU clocks and see if a change in clocks coincides with the red spike and game slow down

because the gpu clocks changing has been found to be a source of DPC latency

3. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    actually i can remember from the GTX280s that the audio stuttering red spikes were caused by the changing clocks of the gpus. They were around 65000K. the rest red spikes usually didnt cause audio stuttering except eject button of course.

4. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I get red spikes from time to other in idle mode... However, they are rare and seldom reach more than 4-5000

5. kilthro

kilthro Floating in Space

Reputations:
    Not really. It does hesitate every now and then for a split second but that is due to the darn DPC latency stutter. Not what you are describing. As Denver said below, if I remember correctly this is what was causing the issue.

Thanks for the reminder.. I agree, he should uninstall the driver.. Although I have mine installed and is working fine...

6. claxdog

claxdog Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the aliens have left with data. They have data that says the down clock of the card is causing some of the stuttering problems. This might not be the only dpc issue. They ran some test on my machine and took the data with them to present to nvidia today or tomorrow. They told me that they would call me as soon as they some more info. I think this shows that they are working on the problem and are trying to get a fix.

7. BatBoy

BatBoy NBR Community Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the report clax. Hope they reassured you and left you feeling a bit better about the situation. ;)

8. claxdog

Reputations:
    Definitely felt like were concerned and that they were trying to fix this problem. They told me they would give me an update this week so that is cool of them.

9. BatBoy

BatBoy NBR Community Moderator

Reputations:
    Yep - they are all over this.

10. Dwarf King

Reputations:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_(engineering)

Just so you know ;)

11. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing the information, Clax.

I certainly hope that these new events pertain to a proper, fully addressed solution for the R1.

12. claxdog

Reputations:
    No problem glad to share anything. They gave me the feeling that they really are working on this they were emailing people at dell at alienware and at nvidia from their phones the whole time they were here. They stayed for about 3 -4 hours. Brought a pimp alienware monitor to run some of the test(took It back with them, crap) . Overall very good and informative experience.

13. scook9

scook9 NBR Benching Addict

Reputations:
    was it the new 120 Hz monitor? they look nice but cost too much for me :(

14. NickKmet

NickKmet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm glad to hear that they seem to be invested in the issue. If they want to restore customer confidence and loyalty, this is how they need to do it. Hopefully they'll have a fix for us in the very near future. Thanks for the info Clax.

15. Dwarf King

Reputations:
    I certainly hope that too. I have wasted way to long time on this machine. At least the Bios A03 update reduced the trouble by 8-90 percent. Perhaps a Bios 04 could remove the last few red latency spikes :D

16. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Indeed.

You see, what I am -really- interested in is the prospects of having Nvidia cards without the spikes or issues associated with Win7 and visual beef in Vista. Then I can confidentally invest in a QX9300 CPU.

17. claxdog

Reputations:
    yeah, I think It was the AW2310.

18. illucid

illucid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just as a follow up to my post, last night I decided to get rid of the software RAID setup. I installed only one Scorpio Black, changed the BIOS to ATA (not AHCI), then installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. All drivers were left as Microsoft supplied only, except for the Nvidia 186.82 drivers on BIOS A03. I allowed windows update to do its thing as many times as it needed to, and have put no Alienware drivers on it yet.

Latency has decreased so that now I only get one 10000 spike, every now and then but 99.9% of the time is under 100, so I am very pleased with it. I am also convinced that it is only a matter of time before a real patch is sorted.

19. trikster

trikster Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been out of town for a few days... Am I reading this correctly that the A03 bios is supposed to fix the spiking of the battery management? Is this only with W7 or does it help in Vista too? I ask because with the ACPI enabled on my Vista machine, I am still getting spikes in the 1100 range, every 15 seconds. If I disable it, the spikes go away. Now I realize that 1100 is nothing in comparison to the upper stratosphere spikes we all can get (my largest was 897000) but this is still bothersome. I really want to transition to W7, but it appears that the issue is even worse on W7. Oh, and this is using the 9400, hybrid disabled in the bios. I get spikes anywhere from 65k~100k with the 9400...the issue is far worse with the 260m's enabled.

That brings me to another question/observation. I see that the most vocal here have really pimped out m17x's...high end processors and 280/ATI cards. I was given (I had a pimped out m1730) the low end setup as a warranty replacement. Unless the power system for these laptops is completely inferior, should it not be able to handle my system just fine?

What do you folks think I should do? Should I try and wait this out or should I pitch a fit? I have had this brick since late October and have not been able to do anything with it. Every video I render is corrupted at some point (audio/video gets out of sync) and any effects aren't done properly. I ended up losing my gig over this laptop because I used it as a work machine. I would like to tell Dell to replace this with a m11x and maybe a TV. Those I could use. With all the flak that Dell/AW is getting on the R1, I cannot sell it for anything close to what I paid for it. No one wants to buy a shoddy laptop.

20. Dwarf King

Reputations:
    Hi trikster sorry to hear you story. From what I can see then Dell is really trying very hard to fix this issue. The A03 Bios is taking the most of the red spikes which can be seen if you are using the Latency Checker from www.thesycon.de. I can not tell what to do here, But I can tell you that I will wait for a little longer as it looks like Dell is really, really taking this serious(now Batboy don't you move me into a new thread named "Thank you Dell we love you"). You could try to make them repair the machine or perhaps even try to convince them to offer you a replacement... In the end the decision will be yours to make and for Dell to process/approve.