M17x and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by kqmaverick, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geby

Geby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everything works fine for me w/ windows 7 but for some reason my ram is always maxed out, running around 90%+ and slowing my computer down by alot.

2. Encephalon9986

Encephalon9986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New Alien Command Center A03 works flawlessly on Windows 7. Every feature is working.

3. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Who's blog? Have a link?

4. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The services I disabled to eliminate the 'intermittent FPS drop/stutter/audio mp3 playback intermittent popping' are as follows:

1. Alienware Fusion Service

2. FAService (This is for AlienSense - worthless in my opinion and a resource hog)

Reminder, when making changes to Services always do so by typing 'Services.msc' into the Run command. Never make changes to Services using the Services tab within the Task Manager.

In addition to this, I have also disabled the following startup items:

1. AlienFXController
    2. FATrayAlert

Downside to this (and its only a minor issue) is that in order to change your AlienFX lighting you will need to first launch the AlienFXController via the Programs Menu or just create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Once you have made your changes, right click on the little alien head and choose exit. The .exe is here:

C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXController.exe

Also be aware - if you have your PowerProfile set to turn off/Go Dark the AlienFX lighting while on battery power, you will need to manually do this since the controller is not running.

Doing the above has eliminated all stuttering issues and audio/mp3 playback issues I had experienced.

I have also not bothered to re-enable everything to see if the new command center has the stuttering/audio pop issues fixed. So, feel free to test if you like. I'm content for now.

5. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ Batboy's blog. Check his sig for the link.

6. kryptonian

kryptonian Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BatBoy, just so im clear, you reccomend that both Alienware Fusion Service and FAService should be disabled and not set to manual? FAService I understand what it is and definitely will disable becuase I have no need for facial recognition. The Alienware Fusion Service is another story because im still a little unclear about all its uses.

7. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The AlienwareFusion Service is what ties the CommandCenter Fusion module into the OS's PowerProfiles. Personally, I'd rather have the OS in control and not have the two fighting it out for control. ;)

8. kryptonian

kryptonian Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok thanks! I was just a little confused weather to set to "disable" or "manual" at startup. Well since my system will have Win 7, maybe I wont have to do any of this and the problem will be fixed. Or maybe im just to optomistic.

9. Bubbamel

Bubbamel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Batboy..thanks as always for your continued support when issues come up. Keep it up!! :D

10. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    you can close those services just before playing a game through using task manager. its the same right?

by the way i face random freezes on win7 x64 ultimate when doing something with windows explorer or browsing-downloading with firefox. anyone else with those issues and how to fix them?

by the way there is still no nvidia chipset driver for win7?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.