M1710 on the way!

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nickspohn, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xAMDvsIntelx

xAMDvsIntelx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Congrats on your buy nick! Although, you're not the only one with good tech support - go DellOnCall!

2. nickspohn

nickspohn Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I will

since i had my M170 for 5 weeks, ill be able to notice some differences and what not

will post pics upon arrival (cant find many black M1710 pics yet)

3. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, I don't mean to "one-up" you:D but I just ordered a M1710 with the same specs as you (including the 512MB 7900GTX) but got 2GB of RAM and an 80GB7200RPM HDD, and OFFICE 2003 for $2428!!!

Ya gotta love those Dell 30% off coupons!!:D

Now, I love my E1505, so I may just check out this XPS M1710 and sell it off again. Who knows...:confused:

4. Jason

Jason Overclocker NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Nick what are you going to do with your M170? 5 weeks then you upgrade... WOW! ;) And I thought I was bad selling my m140 4 months after purchasing and hoping to upgrade to an Asus W3j within the next month.:D

5. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Explain to me please how you were able to use a coupon with a XPS lappie...

6. lancorp

Reputations:
    Well, Dell has 30% off Inspiron, Dimension and XPS coupons (I got mine in my email, but ebay has them) good at the Dell Outlet, and this morning, there were half dozen M1710's, two of which had the 7900GTX and were "Previously Ordered New", not refurbs.

So, in essence, I have a new M1710 with 30% off. W

Within a couple of hours, the supply of Outlet M1710's had dwindled to 1.

Seemed like a good savings to me!

7. Lil Mayz

Lil Mayz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    wow nick...but what a load of junk software. A Reformat should do the job....

8. pixelator

pixelator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You don't need to reformat. Just uninstall the junk and clean it out as per previously posted threads. Pay attention to the Corel Photo uninstall directions, there was a recent thread about this. There's not really that much stuff to remove.

Also, the screens are the same between the 1705 and 1710. I am sitting right next to my girlfriend's E1705 and am typing on my M1710 and there is absolutely no difference in brightness (my color saturation is very slightly tweaked, as is gamma, brightness and contrast).

Enjoy your new M1710 - it's a monster of a system and I love mine. Don't feel bad, I paid $3400 for mine. (Lancorp, I hate you)

9. nickspohn

nickspohn Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:

Good deal, although i could have gotten the same deal almost, but said to myself, why just go cheaper, and get the RAM somewhere else. Plus, i was going to ugrade everything.
    Right now i can get a Specced out (T2600, 100GB HD, 2GB RAM, 7900GTX, for $2750)
    I also didn't use a coupon, i was able to get a discount on my own ;)

I complained to dell, there were some things that would get me mad (touch pad would lock up, and it had the sparkle effect noticable on a black screen.)
    I was lucky they took it back, and i got the full price.

Ah, that makes sense. Id still feel better ordering brand new, straight from dell, but that is just me.

Indeed, i want to do a reformat. It brings up the performance so much than just uninstalling things. Im worried about the MediaDirect installation though.

You have a good point, but i need to. I need to install MCE, since it is coming with XP Home

wish me luck, so i get this thing on Friday

10. lancorp

Reputations:
    Trust me, I didn't want to spend anywhere close to what the M1710 cost! But, it looked like a great deal, and basically had everything I needed for a decent price. Sure, a faster chip would have been nice, and there was even a model at the Outlet that was "Previously ordered new" with a 2.16 CPU, but it was almost $400 more...no thanks.

I think for this price, I got a great deal, PLUS, mine ships the same day I ordered it and I get it tomorrow!!!:D

In any case, I may wind up not keeping it. I've had a few 17" laptops in the past, and they are just too big to be portable. But, I wanted to test that out (again) for myself and get the feel of what the fastest notebook model in the world is like!!

Have fun. We'll both be playing with our M1710's on Friday!:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.