1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M17 randomly shuts off !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by pandat23, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It could also be that you need a technician to change your mobo or graphic card as this can also happen because of some power failure(defect electronic etc.) in certain components on your hardware(hence the computer is closing itself down in order to prevent it from damaging itself). If you are still within warranty then I would call Dell and ask them to send a tech as soon as possible. This is not always solved by updating drivers etc. Even though it is temp related then this should not happen as the system should be able to cool itself down with the fan and the heat sink on the mobo as well as the gfx(at least on a hard surface like a table etc.). BSOD related to hardware failure several times at day means tech needs to repair your laptop. Call tech :) and save some time :)

2. pandat23

pandat23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sorry for replying so late ,, Was Out............

OKay,,,,,,,,,, soo i ,

DID A CLEAN WIN 7 install , still got BSOD ,, so caLLED up AW, they asked for the mini dump file ,, but file was not present , so they asked if i had seen the error code at the time of BSOD , i told them that i had taken a picture of it, mailed AW the pic ,,,, they looked at the error code and told me that the BSOD was caused by a Processor issue ( relating to bad chipset drivers or smthn ) ,,, so he asked me to backup all data and call back AW nd dat I would have to format my HDD and all partitions and then do a clean OS install and i would be assisted by the agent...........

BUT when i asked the agent wether he was sure dat it is a driver issue ,,, he replied dat he is still not sure about it nd dat it can still be a hardware issue..............

So, now I have backed up my data and was thinking bout calling AW for the fresh install BUT i'm not sure wether it would be of any use ,,,,,, as i seriously feel it is a hardware issue................

What are your thoughts..............................

3. m00t

m00t Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you've already performed the backup, you might as well play ball. Technical support makes you do these things so they can correctly diagnose the issue. I know a lot of forum members have posted support nightmares, but if you're going to deal with the correct channels to get this problem resolved, you might as well do what they ask.

I say do what they want you to do. If it doesn't resolve the issue, hopefully the technician is competent enough to come to the proper conclusion. If it drags on, well.. then you have cause to complain.. but until then, let them drive the bus.

4. cleverpseudonym

cleverpseudonym PG RATED

Reputations:
    if you feel froggy, re-seat the CPU & GPU(S) its really easy on the M17,use some decent thermal paste. then do a clean install and follow the install order that is in the m17 thread. that will tell you if its a driver issue. otherwise just do what they tell you.

5. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    Firstly...please don't bung a ton of random commas and full stops in there, it's really annoying to read. Reading,,,,,,,text like this.........is annoying.

Secondly, I'd definetely think it's either a heat issue, or a problem with one of the components being damaged. It's very unlikely a driver issue if a clean format and install didn't fix it.

6. AtolSammeek

AtolSammeek Tokay Gecko

Reputations:
    A few ideas is try Older Drivers to see if the issue fix. Point out the programs that had the error for the bsod.

7. pandat23

Reputations:
    I just noticed it TODAY , that the BSOD's and High CPU usage are completely different issues. The Issue of the system abruptly shutting itself down randomly is a different problem to which I discovered the cause today.

IF THE SYSTEM IS RUNNING ON BATTERY AND I SWITCH ON AND OFF AC POWER 2-3 times continuosly , the screen goes black and the computer abruptly shuts itself down ,
    What about this??????

8. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    sound like a mobo issue to me

9. mfractal

mfractal T|I

Reputations:
    Yeah, mobo for sure.

10. pandat23

Reputations:
    Alienware have finally called back my system for repairs, they say it can be anything from faulty graphics cArd , processor , to even the mobo, So finAlly some relief..

Thanks everybody for your replies :)