1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M17 randomly shuts off !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by pandat23, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

As I said from the beginning :) And you are most welcome :D

2. pandat23

pandat23 Notebook Enthusiast

Ok , so the reason I'm bringing this thread back from dead is because I received news on my system that I had shipped to AW for repairs.

So, the day AW received the system , just 2-3 days after that it was shipped back and is still on it's way back.

So when I called up AW asking what had been done with it, they replied nothing.
    The tech. said that their team did not find any problems with any of the hardware and that they have deduced it to be a problem with the AC adaptor ( which by the way I had not shipped ).
    They said that they had included a new power adaptor with the return shipment which I'll get in a day or so, but that's not the problem.

The thing thats bugging me is
    " how does blue screen crashes and high CPU usage "
    connnect with a faulty power adaptor........

So, Does it make sense, is it possible that the problem is with the power adaptor and nothing else…

3. FalconMachV

FalconMachV Notebook Evangelist

Your problem may be a corrupted registry. The symptoms of corrupt registry are:

Frequent error messages,
    Slow start-ups and shutdowns,
    Sluggishness,
    Crash,
    Freezes,
    Declining performance,
    System stalls,
    Severe degradation in operating speed,
    Unstable and frequent application errors and crashes, and,
    At times, even an inability to start Windows.

A registry becomes corrupted when you frequently install and uninstall applications including trial downloads. Some programs are never really completely uninstalled leaving hard-to-find traces in your Windows registry. Or you may have embedded spyware, adware or other components (such as DLLs or programmes that revive themselves on every start up. Or you have unused but undeleted drivers within your system. Perhaps it is time to buy a new SSD and reinstall your operating system. I have mixed feelings about registry cleaners. They usually work well but often they remove Dll’s that are essential. Than a month later you open particular software and than find it corrupted. Roxio has known issues with registry cleaners. I am not sure about PowerDvd. Most hard core gamers will reinstall their operating system like clockwork every 6 months to keep system running smoothly.

I think sending a new charger is a good idea in theory. Whether it works or not is another question. In theory I agree with others that it could also be a host of other hardware failing. Check the flag in the taskbar in the lower right hand corner for issues that the computer has logged.

4. pandat23

pandat23 Notebook Enthusiast

Hey falcon , don't u think that registry Issues would be resolved on clean OS installs even on formatted hdd as I've already done that twice.
    And even if it was an issue with a registry , don't u think alienware techs would have found it when they inspected the system…

5. crumpie

crumpie Notebook Enthusiast

hey.. by crash you mean blue screens? im having the same problem with my new laptop.. and its always got smth to do with minidump or temp files @_@

6. FalconMachV

FalconMachV Notebook Evangelist

Hi Pandat23

In theory yes but in reality I have found often not. In the factory during the original install the operating system and drivers are about the same age. On a home reinstall the operating system is often out of date and this requires lots of windows updates in order to bring your operating system on disk up to date.

I had a problem with Norton, Roxio, and a Dell XPS that I worked on for a week and spent many hours over the phone with all three companies and did several installs. In the end we couldn't get it to work and I had to get rid of norton. Have you added any 3rd party software that could be running in the background that could be causing a conflict?

Next time your blue screen occurs I would take a digital photograph of it as proof that it is occuring for the Dell tech. Usually when you do get a BSOD it usually means that the GPU or driver are faulty. Check to make sure the cards are seated right. If this were hardware related I would think that you could easily see the BSOD by benchmarking. Perhaps run a really low benchmark for an hour and see what happens. Than run full resolution for one cycle.

Here is an article that describes a problem with a factory install vs reinstall.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10452064-245.html

No I don't think a Dell tech would not have a clue whether your registry was corrupted.

7. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

pandat23,
    As Falcon had mentioned, third party software can cause blue screen and I personally went through this ordeal trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer. More specifically, it was ZoneAlarm Extreme Security that gave me problems (after many diagnostics and system restore). There are a few after market internet security programs that do this. Anyway, I made a small editing and the blue screen completely stopped.
    Let me know if you have after market internet security program installed and interested in the steps and I'll retrace the steps I did and post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.