M17 General Information Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems' started by julian-nold, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    I honestly don't know until yesterday 12.4 seemed fine but i started having randoom artifact when programing. But now they apear even on the desktop ethier i screwed my driver or one of my card is dieing.....

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I believe the 8GB limit is a platform limitation. Not much to be done to overcome that as far as I know. One of the pains of having an older device (although I still loved mine!)

3. granyte

Reputations:
    I'm not sure there is a limitation no one even tryed it yet.

How ever anyone tryed swaping the master and slave vbios?
    I think my master card is dieing cause i get artifats ad bsod every time i run a 3d software.

4. granyte

Reputations:
    i just swaped them artifacts stoped

on a side note when cross flashing you need to swap the cards slots or they won't work at all

5. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @granyte, is there any chance you could upload your slave and master vbios files for me?

I've got a 4870m slave card on the way hopefully, but it apparently needs the vbios flashed before it will work.

6. granyte

Reputations:
    I when i get back home

my master died so i'm running on a slave flashed to master and i don't know if any of the vbios got corrupted with the amount of issue i had in the last 2 days so ill upload my backup i have at home

PS: any one tryed reflowing a 4850 befor?
    Also where did you get you 4870 cause i'm gonna need replacement if i can't bake my 4850 back to life

7. moral hazard

Reputations:
    My first 4870 came from niffcreature for around $150 + postage (can't really remember now) It was one from the asus W90, it works well except it's only 512mb. My second card is coming from ebay, it was sold for around $50 because it supposedly has been the victim of a bad bios flash. I'm hoping to fix it. It's a nice alienware slave card.

I don't know if the 512MB and 1GB will work in xfire, will be interesting to see.

I have seen some 4870m cards go on ebay for $100, and a forum member (table21) was selling them around that price point as well. But I think both of those sources have dried up.

There is one on ebay right now, I was bidding on it but I don't want to continue because someone else seems to really want it and I dont have any reason to pay over $100:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290732747754?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

8. compgeek22

compgeek22 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello I am new to the forums but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a copy of the service manual for the m17. My optical drive stopped reading discs a while ago so I replaced it only for it to continue to not read discs.

Thanks in advance :)

edit: I did try the link that was posted on the first page but it does not work anymore.

9. granyte

Reputations:
    aren't the w90 card reversed or something?

alright if i can't backe my master back to life ill go hunting for one

posting my bios as soon as i find my backup

10. moral hazard

Reputations:
    The w90 card is standard, everything except the crossfire connector.

My alienware 4870m just came in today, it works but it does have a stange vbios.

And because the crossfire connectors are different I can't get that to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.