M17 General Information Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems' started by julian-nold, Feb 27, 2009.

1. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    yes that was it thanks alot
    i guess i will have to buy a separate toaster oven to test this hopefully i will be able to repair both gpu by the end of the month

2. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    I tested it with a heat gun and the experiece didn't go to well ethier i did not keep it hot long enough and the heat damaged even more the faulty connexion or i kept it hot for to long and damaged soem other parts

3. lordmach

lordmach Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.

Hey I have a M17 with Q9300 and s x 3870's. I have been having the stuttering issue. Do you know if there is a way to fix this? Sorry I am asking you but i noticed you machine is similar. Thank you.

4. halofanman

halofanman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Oem Power brick is massive and makes transporting the laptop a real pain. Does anyone know of a Slimmer Power Brick That works with the M17-R1, and the right voltage too, I don't want to fry my mobo :eek:

5. halofanman

halofanman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    also, somebody here did a vent mod for the bottom panel, there was a link to a blog.... I think maybe Granyte did the mod?? but I am not sure. anyway I can't find it. it involved cutting the bottom panel with a dremmel tool and using wire-mesh to increase the airflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've been running my M17 with my M18x's old 240 watt power brick.

7. Rotary Heart

Rotary Heart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With one like this? http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Dell-240W-PA-9E-AC-Adapter-Power-Cord-For-Alienware-M17X-M18X-Laptops-NEW-/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/ixAAAMXQySpRWaXH/$T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEiY!BRW,(Glu0g~~60_35.JPG

8. Rotary Heart

Reputations:
  9. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's the adapter there. I don't get any adapter warnings on boot or anything. Runs strong.

Now what I would like to know is if this adapter provides more juice and could possibly stop or reduce M17 stutter?

I've been out of the M17 game for too long, and I'm not sure if an actual reason was ever discovered for the problem before the 17x came out and no one cared anymore.

Neither of mine have had the stuttering issues, so I cannot test the theory myself.

Off topic here, but what version of Intel XTU actually works with the M17? I'm getting some kind of incompatible hardware error.

10. Rotary Heart

Reputations:
    The funny thing is that everyone says that the Q9000 was free of the stuttering, but mine came with an Q9000 and I had the stuttering... I have been reading a lot of post where people says don't get the QX9300 because it have stuttering go and get the Q9000 who is free of it. lol how many people have missed that amazing QX9300 for those posts. Anyway good thing is that I have that adapter laying in my house. So I will be trying to use it for now on. Maybe it could let me do more mods to it. Thanks