M15x upgrade/install advice

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Jmandayman, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    yes, and new thermal pads. I typically get a sheet of arctic 1.0mm pads for 7$ and antec formula 7 paste

2. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perfect, got them in my cart. Lastly, any advice on how to use the paste and pads? Lol. Never done it before

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    1. Always handle MXM cards by their edges. Do your work on an ESD mat or use a grounding strap.
    2. Apply your pads like so. Ignore the thickness measurements, add/remove pads as necessary to make proper contact (as thin as possible) with your heatsink:
    [​IMG]
    3. You want to wipe clean both the heatsink contact area and the GPU die area with 91% alcohol to make it a clean surface. Use a rice sized grain in the middle, the put the heatsink on and tighten the screws, that will spread the compound for you without air bubbles.

or send me everything and I'll do it for 50$ if you're really that uncomfortable.

4. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I’m gonna give it a go once all the parts arrive next week. I’ll be back on the forum with any questions I might have, which I’m sure there will be some lol.

5. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got everything installed and working nicely :)

6. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    With one exception, GPU is running WAAAAAY too hot. 90°C+.
    CPU seems okay tends to run around 70-75° under stress.

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    make sure your pads are placed with the proper thickness, make sure you have proper thermal paste, make sure your screws are applying enough pressure from the heatsink to the die. My 970M tops out in the mid 70s under load.

8. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello again, everything is working properly now. Gpu temps have dropped quite a bit not exceeding 85° but I’m still going to re apply pads and paste just to double check and ease my mind. Also, I oc’d (slightly) the 920xm and it was running fine for a while until it’s now started crashing the m15x, power cord tripped, complete shut down, sometimes have to disconnect battery and drain the extra life to reboot it, works fine until it happens again. 3-4 times. I’m imagining this is a 150w psu problem?

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes if you overclock 920xm it is very power hungry and will trigger hard shutdown due to power starvation.

10. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay cool. I’ll stop oc’ing then until I maybe get the 240w psu for now.
    Also, Raidriar thanks for all the help, couldn’t have done any of this without your advice. Especially the M6100, it runs like a champ and has made me very happy with my M15x again(which I’m only using temporarily until I can afford something new)
    Which is also why really the only thing left that I haven’t upgraded is the hdd