M15x upgrade/install advice

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Jmandayman, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome man I got it to work, modded and installed no problem. Thanks for solving that for me! +rep!

senso likes this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I know about the center pin, and you're right. You can fix it by isolating the pin.

No, we did a test, the 940XM is to weak for 970M, we have seen considerable performance downgrade in multiple games.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Not true, Delta 240W is a solid PSU. Flextronics 240W is the garbage one.

4. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello again @Raidriar, not sure if this is relevant or if you could help me, but my M15x is still running great since the 940xm + 970m install. But, I’m curious as to if there are any MXM alienwares that actually have supported drivers for the 970m. Was thinking about upgrading to a later model than the M15x to try and get away from the 1st gen i7’s. And before anyone bashes me for not just upgrading to brand new or desktop or stop wasting money lol, I enjoy playing around with these older machines.

5. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also, if there’s a correct forum for 970m supported laptops. Please point me in the right direction so I’m not in the wrong section. Thanks!

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Alienware 18 for sure, Alienware M18x R2 maybe, as 980M is natively supported in Alienware 18 and M18x R2

7. Jmandayman

Jmandayman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    O
    Ok cool thanks, I’ll probably just stick with my 15x until maybe something like those pop up cheap and broken kinda like the m11xr2 I scored for cheap just to play around with. Also, everything seems to be running correctly on the 15x but I’m curious after the more reading I do about custom BIOS and VBIOS. Would I benefit from something like that on my 15x?