M15x Throttling (again...)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by MrMogwai, Sep 29, 2019.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello again, everyone!

I've searched far and wide and yet all the solutions given around do not seem to work in my case.
    My config is 940XM, 16GB RAM, Quadro M4000M and an SSD, but I can't seem to get rid of GPU throttling. I have a 240W PSU, Today I finally managed to make a switch-mod for it (to cut the ID line at will), but I can't seem to get rid of an annoying throttle. EVGA Precision is almost constantly showing Power Limit: 1, and my 3D Mark 11 scores have dropped to P5000 range, when before with no PSUID mod I was getting up to 8500.

EDIT: A note to admins/mods, maybe it's a good idea to put a M15x upgrade/mod guide, how to achieve maximum performance with all possible options and solutions and pin it at the top of the forum? Then we wouldn't need so many threads about it.

I just ran another test with a stock Dell PSU, results are similar. Could it be tha damned Win10 update messing with the results? I mean previous update (before patching) put me down from P8500 down to P7000 range. The m15x is still a better option than for example my wife's Lenovo Z51-70 which is in the same price range even considering all the hardware juggling in my m15x, but the Micros#!t updates seem to be doing bad things to my baby...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If I were you, I'd choose to run W7 or W8.1 for the lower CPU overhead needed to run the OS, 8.1 is fairly similar to 10 anyways outside of the horrendous Metro interface (can be fixed with ClassicShell) and is still going to be updated years from now while 7's days are limited.
    I believe many forum members here have noticed Nvidia driver throttling or something similar.

3. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    The thing is need Win10 for some of my job software, such as home automation programming, so downgrade is not an option. I can bite the bullet with 1000 drop in performance with an update, but I've seen P11000 with similar config and I'm wondering what am I doing wrong with the M15. Maybe some step by step solution on one to dodge throttling? What should be my launch checklist for the machine?

4. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe try W10 lTSC or another debloated option then.
    Do all the usual items, such as making sure you aren't power or CPU throttling, and maybe consider a newer machine.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    Windows Privacy Dashboard

Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!
    Have you checked in Reliability monitor to see what was installed right before you saw the lower pwerformance?

What Windows 10 Version? Post also screenshot of what Windows patches you have installed - Program and Features (View installed updates).

Have you screenshoots/result links of before and after benchmarks? If, then post it.

6. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Will search for it, I have some Benchmark proof somewhere.
    My main question is thus - how to limit power throttling on the GPU. Everyone is using the angled adapter, I couldn't get one anywhere, so I did the mod, but I'm doing something wrong. Software throttling I can live with, I have painfully accepted that in a certain degree, but not having full hardware potential makes me feel uneasy.

I know the m15x is not a new machine, that it's old and there are far better AWs out there. But this one has a soul and it works fine so far. And I've seen people do crazy results with it.

7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Also what I mean is for someone to explain to me how the 'ritual' with the PSUID switch off is supposed to work. Boot with ID, then switch it off, or do some stealth toggling, or what exactly? I have modified my Flextronics first before original Dell PSU. Have I missed something here?

8. blazeghost

blazeghost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don´t know if it´ll do any good for your situation, but here you can find the 90° PSU adapter.

Ebay 90° PSU Adapter

9. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, but still - even with the adapter - what's the story? Do you boot with it, do you disconnect the PSU, put the adapter with center pin pulled out and then plug back in, or do you boot without the ID line already? I couldn't find this piece of common knowledge plainly explained here. Help me out guys ;) What is the correct procedure? For me (an electrician) it was far easier to snip, solder and mount a switch (which was like 0,30 euro) than to wait for an adapter that costs 30$ with shipping.

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Ask here... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m17x-r4-extreme.830546/

Ashtrix likes this.