M15x New owner. Some troubleshooting and upgrade advice.

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by FPS Legend, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Ok, so I believe the problem appears quite obvious. I have received the gtx980m, but it doesn't fit in the case. Is there any solution to this? Any sort of interference with this plug? Or just a different card?

Edit: after further fiddling it also appears that the fan won't fit. I think a return is in order. Can anyone supply a link to a fairly reasonably priced GTX970M?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That's not a 980m, looks more like a gtx 980 notebook or a mxm gpu used in desktops. My money is on the latter as that plug wouldnt natively fit in just about any machine.

3. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    The card is back in mail, and a new FurnacePro 6100 is in order. We'll see how it works.

Anyway - back to upgrade progress, 740XM and 16BG of ram is placed (only the 260M is still holding me back), and the leap in efficiency is very palpable. Before, it was running, now it's RUNNING running. 240W brick power supply is working well, will keep you posted on further updates. Thanks for the help!

4. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Another update - got a video card, I've ordered a FirePro 6100, turns out it's actually Radeon HD 8950... But results are good, I'm not much of a current-gen gamer anyway (because most of current stuff bores me to tears or contains lootboxes and twats), Dark Souls 3 runs better than Dark Souls 1 for some reason, but as far as I know the DS 3 engine is far better optimized, and also as another experiment ordered a Quadro M4000M as another replacement, from what I've read i just need to do the .inf mod? Is it similar to the modification posted in other threads about 970M drivers, with all that disabling certification faffery?

Furthermore, I'm making it a truly mobile platform for work, so a 4G card with external SIM adapter are also in the mail (will post pics, it's actually quite an ingenious design) and still waiting for a new replacement battery. You guys over the pond have it easier, most sellers from ebay don't ship here, and those that do are simply Chinese resellers.

5. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Now that the battery has arrived I've got a fully operational M15x I would like to share a bit of gained knowledge for anyone who wishes to restore these beauties. For those of us who live in Europe except UK - Electropapa (Germany) is the stuff, even though I couldn't find a single review on the internet I took the risk and was very pleasantly surprised, fairly quick international delivery, stuff as advertised and what I will praise as much as the Sun - PACKAGE TRACKING. I recommend those guys, and on the other hand will recommend avoiding BatteryUpgrade - although customer service is reliable to respond somewhere between 24-48 hours, their deliveries are not traced, they ship from China, from what I've read (and believe happened in my case) morons handling the packaging ship lithium batteries via airmail, and that's how they get lost in transportation. No shipping number, so they just play dumb, but at least have the decency to give a refund. Also, Electropapa is about 30% cheaper.

Another thing, because I've got hooked with restoring those beauties - does anyone here have a spare piece of an old wasted D951T? the legendary 9-cell battery? I have a place to replace the cells, but need the case, and finding those is like looking for a virgin in a maternity ward... Anyone in Europe?

6. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a working D951T battery (I think it says ~2 hours in OS) in my M15x that I am selling. 940XM & 680M been rock solid.

7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Whoa. Europe? How much?
    Edit: just to be clear, D951T, the 9cell battery?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm in USA so not sure how to get it to Europe given all the extra scrutiny with Lithium batteries in the mail. Yeah working 9 cell that has the stand higher that allows good airflow. I always just thought this was the way all M15x were setup.

Edit: Sold to Canada

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM