M15x internal fan mods?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Dec 21, 2016.

1. MatsueMaiku

MatsueMaiku Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh, if anyone wants to know about how I got the M15x CPU fan out of the shroud, I just wedged a standard screwdriver between the bottom of the fan motor and the shroud and it popped out with little effort.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Interested in your temperatures under 100% load now

3. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I just tried some gaming while overclocked to 24x24x24x24x. My laptop used to get up into the upper 90s and throttle, now it stays around 75C. I ran Cineabench 3 times in a row with that overclock and the highest the temperature got was 82C on one core. If I crank up fanspeeds with HWINFO temps could get a bit cooler, I think. It's after midnight here so more testing will have to come later.

MZWiZard likes this.
  4. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I didn't know that HWiNFO reset fan profiles if you closed the fan menu. I changed that to open minimized, so it's working better now. HWiNFO is reporting that the fan is spinning up to approximately 5,170 RPM. I think I've seen it go as high as 5,310 RPM. You can still hear the fans slowing down then speeding back up. I have ThrottleStop set at TDP (W) 85 and TDC (A) 62 for power. The turbo ratio limits are set to 25 on all cores.

Before doing the fan mod, I was getting nearly 100C on stock clocks and terminated the 1024M bench, so just making it through the bench is a big improvement from my perspective.

Room temp is 20.6

ThrottleStop 32M scores
    14.757, temp 65C,
    14.983, temp 65C,
    14.502, temp 63C (benchmarks were run back to back).

Room temp is 21.2

ThrottleStop 1024M scores 460.916 (with custom auto fan profile) temp is 86C on all cores

*HWiNFO seems to have crashed during the benchmark.

ThrottleStop 1024M 474.028 (with custom auto fan profile temp is 85C on two cores.

*HWiNFO didn’t crash and the fan speeds remained constant.

ThrottleStop 1024M 471.461 (manual fan set at 5220). Max temp is 85C on two cores.

*HWiNFO didn’t crash and the fan speeds remained constant.

(Note: clock speed declined over time for all 1024M tests. The lowest was around 23.45, I think.)

5. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    The scores are based on seconds, so lower is actually better.

6. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the fun of it, I just tried running the 1024M benchmark. It took 465.387 seconds and my max temp was 93C - that is with standard fan. Usually, while gaming some GTAV or Division, it hovers around 85-90C. But the 980m never gets above 79C, even after hourly long sessions.

MatsueMaiku likes this.
  7. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    Cool. That's interesting to hear. As a side note, I figured out that part of my problem with HWinfo crashing had to do with the task priority settings. Since HWinfo was set to run on startup with task scheduler, it was automatically given a lower priority. After reading a guide here https://bdbits.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/setting-a-scheduled-task-process-priority/ , I was able to fix it. Now, HWinfo works perfectly in the background even during benchmarks.