]]>

M15x internal fan mods?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  2. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no idea where the extra rating (5.5 to 7.7) comes from . I ordered the stock Delta version. I then compared it to the AVC fan.

There are no geometric differences (design of blades, # of blades, pitch, etc) between the two fans. They are also the same size (diameter, thickness). The only two differences between the fans are: 1) the Delta's motor is noticeable larger and 2) the Delta's shaft of Delta fan is noticeably thicker (actually the same diameter size as the M17x R2 fan that I purchased earlier).

Therefore, the only increase of the CFM rating can come from the maximum rotation speed of the fans. I used HWinfo64 to max the RPM of the fans. The AVC spun at 4,500 rotations per minute while the Delta spun at 5,000 rotations per minute. If there is a better method, please let me know so that I can perform a better test.

With that said (for everyday usage), I have not noticed any significant difference between the CPU temperatures using the two "different" fans. I still plan to get the M14x fans.

*I would also like to add, that the AVC CPU and AVC GPU Dell stock fans are the exact same. These two Alienware M15x fans were completely identical. The only difference between the two is the max speed that the motor is capable of spinning up to.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    MatsueMaiku likes this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

So I have run 3 tests, 3 times each with my stock fan, I will crunch those numbers tomorrow.

The tests I have run are just what I have on hand.

1. Rainbow Six - Siege
    2. Company of Heroes 2
    3. AIDA64

I just modified the y510p to accept the m14xr2 fan, Its moves significantly more air than stock thats for sure. It even handled my 755m overvolted at 1.2v 1350core and 4700mq @ 3.4Ghz 4 core turbo.

I will be running the same 3 tests, 3 times each and getting the numbers to get an average and ill let you guys know the difference that shows up in my data.

It would be really helpful though, personally, if anyone can link me to projects of similar nature though. Something with before and after data, pictures are a plus.
    I would be using them for references in my project in University. Anyways ill report back when I have the numbers and such.

(I know its not an alienware laptop I have, but I figure you guys would still be interested in how it works for people)

MatsueMaiku likes this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I have finally got this stuff done.

I actually finished it a couple of days ago but right at the tail end of it, Excel crashed on me and I had to work up the will to start it over.

I have added it as an file, its a bunch of data, I havent made it into a bar graph as I still have to figure out how to do that with the applications I have (or can get online)

I ran most things 3 times, and the blue is the AVG, Highest reported temp, and Lowest reported temp summarized in blue for each section which is bolded.

My fan control is locked so I have stock fan curve or max fan (via cutting control wire for the fan) With the stock fan curve it actually resulted in worse temps in AIDA64 but forcing fan speed to max really reaps the benefits. I just ordered some Grizzly-C liquid metal to see how much of an improvement Ill get from NH-T1 that I usually use.

Let me know what you guys think, this is using the M14x R2 Fan.

Attached Files:

bartuc66 and deadsmiley like this.
  5. MatsueMaiku

MatsueMaiku Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. bartuc66

Reputations:
    I have been wanting to try out one of the fans from the new Alienware 15 models (R2 and/or R3). They definitely have more than double the amount of blades compared to the stock M15x fan. Would anybody happen to know the dimensions of that fan? I've been asking all the sellers on eBay, but I have yet to get a reply. I don't want buy yet another fan that is too large for the M15x.

edit(11/2/2017): So I ended up ordering an Alienware 15 R3 fan. It will not fit in the M15x. The fan's diameter is too large.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    That's good to know, Bartuc66. Thanks for the info. I haven't had any time to test mine out yet.

8. y05h1

y05h1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know if anyone is still active in this thread, but I found that the Alienware 15 CPU fan looks like it might fit the M15x CPU fan. The 15 fan states 10/11CFM so I'm going to try this.

How did this work out?

9. bartuc66

Reputations:
    As I mentioned earlier, I ordered an Alienware 15 fan. The diameter of the fan was too big to fit in the cpu fan case. Another thing to note is that the fan is about half as thick as the original Alienware M15x fans. I am still waiting for my M14x R2 fans. Aliexpress has not been a good experience so far. Two sellers didn't even bother to ship the fans out, and the returns process takes about 6 weeks. 3 months down the drain.

10. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I'll update you when I get a chance to get it installed. I am going to order another one from ebay this time. I have had issues with buying from Alibaba recently. I probably give it a shot within the next month.

alienisme likes this.