M15x internal fan mods?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    possibly number of blades, curvature of blades, etc.

MZWiZard likes this.
  2. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    7.7 cfm still ain't enough ;)

3. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I purchased three of these. They were 5.5 CFM fans so I am asking for a refund. Bleh...

4. Raidriar

Reputations:
    As did I, i told them I wanted a 7.7 and they said they didn't have any....the hunt continues.

deadsmiley likes this.
  5. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They refunded and didn't ask for them back. Probably because it would cost them money to return them.

6. Raidriar

Reputations:
  7. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no idea where the extra rating (5.5 to 7.7) comes from . I ordered the stock Delta version. I then compared it to the AVC fan.

There are no geometric differences (design of blades, # of blades, pitch, etc) between the two fans. They are also the same size (diameter, thickness). The only two differences between the fans are: 1) the Delta's motor is noticeable larger and 2) the Delta's shaft of Delta fan is noticeably thicker (actually the same diameter size as the M17x R2 fan that I purchased earlier).

Therefore, the only increase of the CFM rating can come from the maximum rotation speed of the fans. I used HWinfo64 to max the RPM of the fans. The AVC spun at 4,500 rotations per minute while the Delta spun at 5,000 rotations per minute. If there is a better method, please let me know so that I can perform a better test.

With that said (for everyday usage), I have not noticed any significant difference between the CPU temperatures using the two "different" fans. I still plan to get the M14x fans.

*I would also like to add, that the AVC CPU and AVC GPU Dell stock fans are the exact same. These two Alienware M15x fans were completely identical. The only difference between the two is the max speed that the motor is capable of spinning up to.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    MatsueMaiku likes this.
  8. MatsueMaiku

MatsueMaiku Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been wanting to try out one of the fans from the new Alienware 15 models (R2 and/or R3). They definitely have more than double the amount of blades compared to the stock M15x fan. Would anybody happen to know the dimensions of that fan? I've been asking all the sellers on eBay, but I have yet to get a reply. I don't want buy yet another fan that is too large for the M15x.

edit(11/2/2017): So I ended up ordering an Alienware 15 R3 fan. It will not fit in the M15x. The fan's diameter is too large.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  10. MatsueMaiku

MatsueMaiku Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's good to know, Bartuc66. Thanks for the info. I haven't had any time to test mine out yet.