M15x internal fan mods?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates on how the fan mod is going?

2. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Haven't gotten around to it. I had my motherboard die on me recently and am waiting on a replacement. If I go ahead with the mod, I'll definitely post the results.

3. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha my motherboard died too. I have just installed a replacement and have the M15x running again. I melted something in the power controlling circuit, while drawing app. 300W through a modded psu...

In the meantime, I recieved the 11,4cfm fan. I will try to mod it in place soon.

4. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mine was weird. All of a sudden it stopped receiving power from the power jack but did still operate on battery. I checked with a multimeter and confirmed that the jack itself was fine but somewhere along the power delivery something must have failed. Motherboards are cheap now (paid 70USD shipped from Aliexpress) so I didn't spend too much time on the dead board.

5. MZWiZard

Reputations:
    Mine got really warm on the left side and then started to smell burnt. At the same time, charging power started to turn off and on once every 2 sec. I powered it down and let it rest until cold. But power kept being erratic. Finally it stopped charging like yours...

kosti likes this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Any update on the fan? 11.4cfm should help significantly instead of 5.5cfm

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Also interested, ill be modding the m17x r4 fan into my y510p in the coming months (gathering the supplies, and have to replace dremel sadly)

8. bartuc66

Reputations:
    I purchased a M15x CPU heatsink/fan and a M17x Cpu fan (DP/N 0U012M). This M17x fan is rated at 11.2 CFM. This fan is just too big to naturally fit inside the M15x cpu fan case. The good news about these fans is that they just pop right off the fan motor (just the actual fan). I figure that if I can find a higher rated fan that simply fits in the fan casing (that also just pops off), I won't have to do any type of dremel work. I still plan to test whether or not this fan will work with my Gpu's fan. I will update this post once my backup gpu fan arrives.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. MZWiZard

Reputations:
    I will admit that I have got the 11,4cfm fan, but I'm hesitating to try to install it, as I dont have a cpu temperature problem.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I do lol, though its for a different laptop, my y510p someone else had already modded the 10.4CFM fan from the m14xR2 but have been curious about this 11.4CFM one

Anyways the thread is watched so if anyone does it, should be fun to see :)

11. bartuc66

Reputations:
    Would you guys be willing to measure the diameter of those fans as well as provide their Dell Part Number. I think this thread would benefit from making a list of possible fans that may be used. When I say "diameter" I am referring to the diameter of the actual fan, and not the fan casing. This means that the case would have to be opened in order to measure the fan.

I will go first:

1) Alienware M15x CPU Fan (DP/N PR2H1)[AVC Stock] : 5.5 cm diameter/5.50 CFM/2.5 watts

2) Alienware M15x CPU Fan (DP/N ?????)[Delta Stock] : 5.5 cm diameter/7.70 CFM/2.5 watts

3) Alienware M15x GPU Fan (DP/N 074W61)[AVC Stock] : 5.5 cm diameter/7.80 CFM/2.5 watts

4) Alienware M17x R2 CPU Fan (DP/N 0U012M)[AVC Stock] : 6.5 cm diameter/11.2 CFM/2.5 watts

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    MZWiZard likes this.
  12. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I dont this fan. I am just really curious how it plays for people

13. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    For you guys that don't want to mod your fans, apparently the heatsink + fan combo came in 2 different versions. Any system that did not ship with the 920XM from factory cam with the 5.0cfm fan. systems that came with the 920XM shipped with a 7.7cfm fan. Just purchased one from here. For 5$, hard not to do it for a plug and play upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-M...hash=item2a218377c3:m:mBc5kJs4PGxBwOfOIt7tXmA

kosti and MZWiZard like this.
  14. STiHiaL

STiHiaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have AVC fan which one is 5.5cfm and this fans spins up to 4600rpm as 7.7cfm Delta fans do.
    So, where is the difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.