]]>

M15x internal fan mods?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Has anybody managed to upgrade the internal 5.5CFM fans to something higher, like the M14x R2's 11.4CFM fans? I feel that would help keep the 920XM 26-26-26-26 in check.

Prax0s likes this.
  2. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes sir, but for now just the GPU fan. As written in the other thread, I used this one, found on ebay:

[​IMG]

3. Azshalasa

Azshalasa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Curious on how you got it workking in the M15x

5. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure both my stock fans are around 7.8 or 7.7 cfm. I haven't dismantled the laptop in a while and may do so today to confirm. I think Dell may have had different fan versions on the M15X during its production.

If I remember correctly (when I replaced the damaged pin header on my fan) the stock fan only had 4 wires coming out of it and the 5th pin was actually spliced into one of those 4 wires. Look at the pic below of a stock GPU fan. You may notice a green colored wire near the connector, but no green wire going to the fan. That wire is spliced into one of the 4 wires. You can confirm this by peeling off the tape around the wiring harness on your fan.

But just from looking at the pics of the upgraded fan, I can tell that it won't fit properly without modding because of the obvious difference in the shapes between the two.

[​IMG]

6. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are quite right. I used a dremel to grind surfaces to fit and then epoxy to glue the fan in the right place. Its kind of difficult to explain (and I cannot remember exactly how, as Im getting old and memory isnt what it used t be), but this was no easy task. Regarding the power, I just left the fifth pin disconnected on the original connector, but connected all the other wires matcing colors, and it worked. Maybe it breaks native fan control, but I couldnt tell, because I was already using HWInfo to control speed because of the 6990m from a Clevo X7200.

kosti likes this.
  7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    ^ This is exactly how you do fan upgrade - keep the case/frame, change the fan and yes, Dremeling is a must, there's rarely a straight fit and even if there is, it might not be much of an upgrade over your stock one. So just go ahead and get the largest fan that can fit inside and grind the hell out of your case/frame. Just make sure to stand at more than 5mm away from the radiator or it would create quite some noise. Oh and yes, don't forget the wires.

MZWiZard likes this.
  8. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Correction: took my laptop apart for repasting today and CPU fan is indeed a lowly 5.5cfm. GPU fan is 7.8. Now this mod is a lot more tempting.

9. Azshalasa

Azshalasa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's any problem to keep my GPU fan at full speed for about 20 days ? (thats the time to get a new plug) Notebook will work about 10h/day .

10. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nobody can say for sure. These things can fail at any time. They usually use ball bearings or fluid dynamic bearings for these types of fans and those tend to last longer on horizontal mounts.