M15x GPU Thread: General Discussion on Upgrades, GPU Troubleshooting & Repairs

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Jeehan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    has no x bracket, you will need to source an appropriate one yourself. I have a 970M for sale for 270 shipped including x bracket if you want to go that route. @King of Interns and I have both tested the 980M in the M15x and it was just way too hot and power hungry to live with. 970M is the best way to go. I have mine undervolted to 0.95V (down from 1.00V) and it works wonderfully.

2. MatsueMaiku

MatsueMaiku Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello, Raidriar. I would be interested in buying the 970m from you for that price assuming there are no problems with the card. It sounds like it's all set up to be installed. Would you be able to ship it to me in Osaka, Japan? My wife would be happy that I'm not spending $400 on the 980m. Please, send a message to my inbox and we can discuss the details. I don't seem to be able to message you that way.

3. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Japan will increase shipping cost from USA to 300 including shipping, yes the card works, you will NEED clevo screws to use the xbracket since it is a clevo card.

4. masterlink2002

masterlink2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haven't been online in a long time. I sold my AW 17 r1 Ranger recently to pay for my geforce 1080 for my desktop now i'm left with my wife's m15x until my power supply comes back from rma. my qyestion is this. can someone point me in the right direction to go about installing the geforce 765m i bought for this laptop a while back. I haven't done this in a while so i'm rusty and I don't wanna screw up my wifes laptop.

5. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I got myself an Nvidia 980m. The highest I've seen the temperature go on stock clocks is 76C in a 31C room. It's leaps and bounds better than my AMD 5850m. I've noticed it clocks itself down during benchmarks, though. It's usually between upper 800s and lower 900s on the core. Odd, since it's usually pretty cool. I'm just running it on the stock vBios and I have the latest drivers. I got a Firestrike score of 6,920, which seems a bit low. The voltage is usually lower than what I've read. It runs between 0.8430 V and 1.0370 V according to GPU-Z. Is power throttling possibly to blame?

dean1keaton likes this.
  6. Raidriar

Reputations:
    This is why I don't play with the 980M in the M15x. It will never hold max clocks in the M15x, especially with the 920XM because there isn't enough juice to go around for both the CPU and GPU. The reason your temps are good is because the 980M isn't running at full clocks. if you clock the CPU down to 1000-1200Mhz you can run the 980M full clocks but it will likely burn out since it becomes a blast furnace in the m15x. M18x barely keeps it cool.

7. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I'll give it a shot and report back. I've already tried stock 920xm clocks and power and didn't notice any differences on the GPU clocks. Even if I can't get it to maintain full speed I'm happy because my 5850m actually burnt out and needed to be replaced anyway.

8. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I tried setting my CPU multipliers to 9 and my voltage to 42 and there was no effect at all on the GPU.
    upload_2018-7-23_21-26-35.png
    This screenshot below is with the CPU on 23, 23, 23, 23 and the voltage set at 90 (not my usual settings).
    upload_2018-7-23_21-26-48.png
    Afterburner is reporting that the GPU is power throttling in both cases. There is no difference in GPU power draw or heat in either case.

9. STiHiaL

STiHiaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had same problem while been using 920xm x24*4 with all this cards 6970m/6990m/k4000m also with OC.
    I think the reason of this just a ****ty bios or some kind of an safety limits. My M15x burnt 2 mobos from 2010 to 2017 while been used with 920xm oc'ed and 100W gpu oc'ed.
    In total, M15x boost normally only with center pin cut out on PSU connector (Dell Precision's 210W PSU) and battery not attached. Also can buy angled psu adapter and cut center pin in it.
    P.S. sorry for my bad English.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UTGVvyP0e6NV8sFBafeMP9SvxusKi5l6/view?usp=sharing

10. MatsueMaiku

Reputations:
    I have a 240 PSU and right angle adapter without a center pin already.