]]>

M15x GPU Thread: General Discussion on Upgrades, GPU Troubleshooting & Repairs

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Jeehan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you can type in your dell service tag, check original configuration, expand components tab. it will tell you if screen was rgbled samsung wuxga or 2ccfl samsung wuxga

2. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Still trying to iron out all the random pwr throttle bugs even with 240W adapter...they happen for a couple seconds then disappear
    Regardless, here is M15x bench w/ 920XM at 26-25-24-24 and 970M stock clocks (random pwr throttle), undervolted from 1.060V to 0.9620V

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11894856

Note: Neither the Prema vBIOS nor the svl7 vBIOS was able to correct the throttling. Prema's vBIOS was not even able to hit full stock clocks ever for whatever reason. Not sure if it is a motherboard problem or what.

3. arturo74r

arturo74r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you remove center pin?

4. Raidriar

Reputations:
    No need to pull center pin, using 240W adapter

5. arturo74r

arturo74r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your experience might vary. Even though with the 240W PSU I was experiencing a much better performance than with the 150W PSU, I still had some throttling issues (very minor). I bought an L-shaped adapter and removed the center pin on the adapter to try it out and my performance is much better now, I have not experienced any throttle. I recommend a power cycle before running any benchmarks.

kosti likes this.
  6. Scryptex

Scryptex Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I'm kinda new here and have a question. Purchased an M15X a while back and decided to do some upgrades. Been reading on this forum and ordered the budget M6000 card. Used the old X bracket from the ATI 5730, but after installing the thermal pads and trying to seat the cooler it seemed one of the chokes was a bit too "high" to be a good fit (the pipe from the cooler presses on the choke/card).

So I've removed the thermal pads from the chokes and gently bent the cooler heat pipe a little, which seems to do the trick. The card works fine and temp seems to be really nice but I'm still a bit troubled by this. Could chokes without any thermal padding become a problem or am I good?

On a side note: Would it be worth upgrading the i7-Q720QM to a i7 840QM and/or to 16GB ram (8GB installed)?

Cheers!

Edit; Image from the applied thermal padding:
    http://imgur.com/Z2IOlan

7. kyussmanchu

kyussmanchu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just q quick question...I can see that the GTX480M is a 100W card, does this mean that I will need a 240W PSU if I install this card instead of mt 460M? I currently have a 150W I think.
    I know there are better cards out there, but I have an alienware 15R3 for gaming...I'm just try to show my oldest (and possibly favorite) AW laptop some love.
    Thanks in advance

8. dodgeball585

dodgeball585 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all , I have the m15x i7-740 looking to upgrade GPU after the CPU, any recommendations for a card around $150? And could you point me in the right direction for installation and stuff.
    Thank you

9. MatsueMaiku

MatsueMaiku Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am interested in doing a final GPU upgrade for my m15x. I have searched for 970M GPUs, but I keep finding 980Ms for cheaper prices for some reason. I know that the 980M wouldn't perform as it should in this laptop because of heat and power consumption, but is it possible to adjust the power and clocks to get it to perform at least as good as a 970M? If I could go that route, I might just get a 980M that's cheaper.

10. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Downclocking is an option when needed, when searching myself I came to the same conclusion that the 980 is just better for the same money but with the thermal limitations one will have accept that some performance will be lost. You could get one of those fancy modded bios but the site that has them doesn't really share unless paid subscription or get lucky with 5 likes there or something along those lines.

Just be sure to get the thermal pads right as I've seen these 970/80s pop up on ebay with burned mosfets.