]]>

M15x GPU Thread: General Discussion on Upgrades, GPU Troubleshooting & Repairs

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Jeehan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jeehan

Jeehan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well we pulled through with the 470M, I'm certain that there's a good chance for the 570M and 580M for they run cooler and draw less power while using the same architecture as the 4XXs.

3. JohnnyFlash

JohnnyFlash Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will paypal $50 to the first person who tries it.

4. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    ^^Oh really? Bring it on! Maybe...

5. Jeehan

Jeehan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ha ha, yea it would be real nice to run that card with stability. I started to hate Dell because they abandoned m15x.

6. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    Paypal me $750 and I'll do it :D

Anyway... I haven't heard any confirmations about the used architecture, but the 580m has the same core count as the 485m as well as the same memory bus, seems to be a very similar architecture.

The 570m has more cores than the 470m, but my guess is that the architecture is similar as well.

The GTX 470m has a GF104 architecture, and it doesn't work flawlessly in the M15x... so I have my doubts about M15x getting these two new Nvidia working in the old faithful, but of course it needs to be tested to say anything reliable about the compatibility.

Since Dell uses the card I think chances are that it works... as far as the power consum is within 6970m levels, but I have some doubts because of the problems with the 470m.

The card's gonna cost a lot... I guess almost twice the price of a 6970m for a 580m.
    Most interesting option imo is the 570m... would be great to get my hands on such a card and put it in the M15x... :) But it'll be similar priced to the 470m I guess, which was more expensive than a 6970m as well.

7. TheHighlightGuy

TheHighlightGuy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "The GTX 580M takes the place of the GTX 485M, and NVIDIA's bragging that it's the "fastest notebook GPU ever," capable, we're told, of besting the Radeon HD 6970M's tesselation performance by a factor of six." - Engadget
    Hmm...if only...

8. Hobgoblinpie

Hobgoblinpie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No.

Don't want to sound defeatist, but the M15x will simply suffer if someone manages to get it to work. It's just not going to happen.

9. JohnnyFlash

JohnnyFlash Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm serious. First person that tries to get a 570m or 580m in their machine gets $50 from me as long as they can prove it. Doesn't matter whether it works or not.

10. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    I may be getting a M17x R3 if my money all adds up correct and if I do, I'll get it with a 580m which I will try in the M15x for you guys.