1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M15X Cracks!!!

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by westcoastgeek, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westcoastgeek

westcoastgeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My laptop has just started to show signs of stress cracking or seperation of the top layer. I have attached pictures showing the area in question. This baby has been handled like a new born, so I just don't understand why it is already doing this. Does anyone else have problems with cracks in this area as shown on the pictures?

Attached Files:

2. Lethal Lottery

Lethal Lottery Notebook Betrayer

Reputations:
    that looks really bad. alienware claims there cases are very strong. did you drop it or somthing?

3. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Owww...that hurts...

4. Silkex

Silkex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like someone stuck a screwdriver in there and twisted it to the right...

5. dtwn

dtwn C'thulhu fhtagn

Reputations:
    I would begin raising Hell at AW if I were you. Do it!

6. Bo@LynboTech

Bo@LynboTech Company Representative

Reputations:
    that is pressure from opening and closing the lid, similar problems to the Rock Quaddra TI case that my eldest son has

basically the metal springloaded hinges beneath the plastic exterior assert pressure on the thinnest parts of the plastic, in your case where the lan ports are

7. Silkex

Reputations:
    I dunno, that is a wierd crack.. To me it looks like the aluminium was bent with a screwdriver. Alum wouldent just do that on its own..

8. Bo@LynboTech

Bo@LynboTech Company Representative

Reputations:
    thats not aluminium its plastic

9. Silkex

Reputations:
    You sure? If you look closely you can see a thin layer of something. I assume its alum, and look even closer.. It is not cracked. If it was plastic it would have cracked just as much as the rest. Just like the crack above the lan port. There is plastic and then alum or whatever it is.

10. rouGHman4

rouGHman4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    magnesium alloy maybe?
    could it be related to heat problems?

11. Sir Travis D

Sir Travis D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is one of the reasons I didnt buy the m15x

12. westcoastgeek

Reputations:
    The top piece is plastic. not sure whats its covering though. I have not had any instrument near it at all. I have put an ethernet cable into it twice, but not yanked it or anything. I'm at a loss as I dont remember seeing it happen , I just looked at it one time and said wow its cracking.

13. Xenon345

Xenon345 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you check it when you got it, maybe it was cracked while in production.

14. tanamerra

tanamerra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Westcoast,
    Just looked at my M15X which i have had a little over a month and it is doing the same thing in the same place as yours. Mine has not been dropped or mishandled either. The crack on mine is not as bad as yours but i am worried it will get worse. Intend to contact Alienware and send a pic. Has anybody else noticed cracks?

15. shima

shima Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, sorry to hear about this new issue. Looks like the rigidity of the case on the left side is weak due to the ethernet port. I just checked mine and it doesn't have it yet....

I figure those cracks should be warranty-able. You might be able to kill two birds with one stone (crack + GPU)?

16. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That wouldnt be metal. The "CASE" of the computer may be metal but the exterior finish is plastic. And if he had a screwdriver in there, youd see little blemishes in the plastic cause its soft.

There may be a number of things that cause this. Only time tested computers show when this type of stuff happens. It will be interesting if others have these problems.

The 9750 was that rubbery coating that began peeling on corners and stuff showing the silver metal beneath.

Ill tell ya, my Dell has sure stood the test of time. Its a 9100 big desktop replacement (15") and Ive carried it almost daily from spring 2004 and its only cracked by one of the hinges and super glue did the trick. the hinges also held their tension unlike my gateway before this.

17. Xenon345

Reputations:
    Does anybody know what is under that plastic in that part, if it is the GPU or CPU it may be caused by continuous change of temperature from very high to very low, this causes material stress which produces cracks if it is the GPU (under that part) - the 880GTX I wouldn't be very surprise with the temp and overheating issues.

18. Laxislife1265

Laxislife1265 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    its not sudden enough to do that

19. Xenon345

Reputations:
    True, but i think the overheating of the GeForce 8800GTX has to do something with these cracks. Please check if you hvae cracks and post it on this thread and right beside it post your Card Type (8800,8700 or 8600).

20. westcoastgeek

Reputations:
    I have opened and closed the lid many times setting power settings for lid closure, testing it with an external monitor etc so it has been opened many times. I have a call into AW and a senior tech person is supposed to be calling me regarding this issue. I can apply light pessure to the area with my thumb and it all goes back to normal. There is definately a small amount of flexing going on when you open and close the case lid on my system. That may be the cause. I'll wait and see what alienware has to say about this.