M15x and Nvidia GTX 560m

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by DuxDucis, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuxDucis

DuxDucis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I was wondering about the possibilities of upgrading the Alienware M15x from say GTX 260m to the GTX 560m when it's released?

Looks quite impressive (specs can be found here), as it's the equivalent to 5870/GTX 260m in SLI.

Should be a painless upgrade, and hopefully being a mid-range GTX card shouldn't have the fans going crazy keeping it cool. Shame that Optimus won't be supported, but that's part and parcel of using a notebook with an almost 2yr old motherboard design.

Otherwise is there a 6XXX series card from AMD which sits below the 6970m that would be worth looking at?

2. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    The 6870m will work as will the 6850m but they offer the same kind of performance as the 5870 and 5850 respectively. You could also upgrade to a 460m GTX

3. apocryfy

apocryfy Newbie

Reputations:
    but is it (560m gtx) worth the price compared to the performance of 5870 and 460m GTX?

4. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's probably impossible to answer this question now, since we don't know: a) the price; and b) whether it will actually work in the M15x (or similar) laptops; and c) what the real world performance will be in said laptops.

We all saw one of our colleagues try in vain to get a 470m to work - without success. I think we'll have to wait till these cards are available, and some adventuresome soul gets one and tries it out.

Let's stay tuned - it sounds like an interesting card.

Joe

5. Flame113

Flame113 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From Notebookcheck:
    "The performance of the GeForce GTX 560M should be near the GTX 470M / 480M and according to Nvidia even beat the fast AMD Radeon HD 6970M"

I thought bigger number is better?

6. xeroxide

xeroxide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    with nvidia the first digit usually refers to the generation so 560 is newer than 480.

however, the second digit refers to it's class, so an 8 in this case is high end, while a 6 is mid-range, a 4 is budget.
    note i'm using mid-range and budget quite loosely here.

so when comparing a 480 to a 560, you're comparing a newer mid-range card to an older high end one.

ati have a similar naming convention, you get used to it after a while... but for some reason both companies like to pull a stunt now and then throwing the normal convention out the window.
    anyone else remember the xt an ti suffixes debacle in desktop vga cards? one couldn't tell if they were buying budget or high performance.

7. Flame113

Flame113 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK I understand now. Thank you very much :D

8. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
  9. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    Thank you! It's still in my system, I only got it working yesterday and I'll do some more testing before I go back to the 6970m. The 6970m is faster, but the advantages of the 470m is that it runs cooler, draws lees power and fan control works fine. But it's not as fast as the 6970m, that's correct.
    Hope I'll find out how to overclock it properly, then it will be pretty awesome.

Chances are that the 560m will work as well, since it seems to be simply a higher binned 460m, but I expect the performance to be about the same as the 470m... we'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.